Ableton LIVE Sound Quality... Your Thoughts

Dont let the internet gas you about the sound quality of different DAWs, untill someone decides to prove differently using science, its all just user error and internet hype.

If you don't like the sound you're getting, it's not the software. It's the user.

Dont let the internet gas you about the sound quality of different DAWs, untill someone decides to prove differently using science, its all just user error and internet hype.

Agreed.

I have used live a few times at my boys studio, I started out using fl5, then moved 2 a mpc 1000 now I use reason, pro-tools, and fl (4 the vsts)

For anyone that thinks their mixes sound dull in Live, do yourself a favor and put an instance of this on your Master channel.

psp-audioware-vintage-warmer.jpg

Had to shell out the loot! Instant difference!

Thanks man. Why isn't everybody talking about this thing. Not one bad word about it from what I've read.

I guess the name makes it seem like it's nothing special... but it is.

LIVE now has LIFE!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're on PC, you gotta check out Voxengo's Elephant and iZotope's Ozone as well. I just realized I guess you guys need mastering effects.

Live doesn't come with any type of limiter/stereo dynamics/EQ mastering plug? Something to 'brighten it up" while "making the mix loud"?

Why isn't everybody talking about this thing.

Everybody has been talking about that thing for years. :)

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Live doesn't come with any type of limiter/stereo dynamics/EQ mastering plug? Something to 'brighten it up" while "making the mix loud"?

There's a limiter, there's a multiband comp, two EQs, different kinds of saturation and whatnot. I guess it's the old paradox of people dismissing the bundled plugins because...they're bundled plugins. Vintage Warmer is still very nice, though.

If you're on PC, you gotta check out Voxengo's Elephant and iZotope's Ozone as well. I just realized I guess you guys need mastering effects.

I agree. Everything I do in Live has Ozone 3 and Vintage Warmer on the Master channel.

Thanks man. Why isn't everybody talking about this thing. Not one bad word about it from what I've read.

LIVE now has LIFE!
because its old as hell. I got it back in 2003.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

There's a limiter, there's a multiband comp, two EQs, different kinds of saturation and whatnot. I guess it's the old paradox of people dismissing the bundled plugins because...they're bundled plugins. Vintage Warmer is still very nice, though.
i remember when dismissing the bundled sounds and plugs was pretty much the standard thing to do because the 3rd party stuff was light years better. Oh have times changed

LIVE now has LIFE!

Vintage Warmer is one of those plug ins that never gets old. It does what it does, and it does it well. The sound never gets old and it's tweakable as all hell.

I didn't mean to make anybody shell out any loot, so I'm now going to offer another "free" solution. Here is a plug in that you can add to each individual track. It's curve is a lot more "analog" sounding than EQ8. Try putting this on each track and tweaking it to your liking, and then turn on Vintage Warmer.

screenshot2.png

It's interesting that warmers are giving you guys what you want. Because warmers dont really add to much high end, which is what you'd want to add if you thought you had a dull sound. And Krushing is right, there are a lot of effects and presets for those effects in live. IMO the bundled effects that come with Live are the best bundled effects out there.

Side note: I've always wanted to buy a really nice 2-track tape recorder just to record my mixdowns to and then record it back in to my pc. Just to get that tape sound. Call me old school but I really dont think any of those "tape sound" plugins really do the job right.

Vintage Warmer is one of those plug ins that never gets old. It does what it does, and it does it well. The sound never gets old and it's tweakable as all hell.

I didn't mean to make anybody shell out any loot, so I'm now going to offer another "free" solution. Here is a plug in that you can add to each individual track. It's curve is a lot more "analog" sounding than EQ8. Try putting this on each track and tweaking it to your liking, and then turn on Vintage Warmer.

screenshot2.png
I miss that plug in

i remember when dismissing the bundled sounds and plugs was pretty much the standard thing to do because the 3rd party stuff was light years better. Oh have times changed

I use nothing but stock effects in whatever I'm using while making beats. I have my go to plugs for finished songs, but that has more to do with chaining everything and getting a final mix.

I can't think of any plug ins that I'd have to have to give my "beats" a distinct sound. As long as the program comes stock with reverb, a tempo based delay, at least a 3 band EQ with normal functionality(prefer at least 5), and some type of limiter, I'm good.

I use nothing but stock effects in whatever I'm using while making beats. I have my go to plugs for finished songs, but that has more to do with chaining everything and getting a final mix.

I can't think of any plug ins that I'd have to have to give my "beats" a distinct sound. As long as the program comes stock with reverb, a tempo based delay, at least a 3 band EQ with normal functionality(prefer at least 5), and some type of limiter, I'm good.

Im the same way about things, dont really buy into the hype as far as effects go. You have to know what you are doing with Dynamics, EQ and any other effects you apply to a mix.

I know the plug in is old, I'm just surprised that nobody really suggests it to a forum of "future producers" I've never even though about the plug in because the name has "warmer" in it. So as with all things that sway me seeing / hearing is believing. So I tried it, I liked it better than the stock plugins in LIVE and everything I have ever put on the master channel for that matter. I'm glad I bought it. I don't feel like tweaking stock and free plugins to try to get the sound another plugin instantly gives me with little to no tweaking. As was mentioned, you have to know what you're doing - unfortunately I don't know much about mixing mastering or whatever because with the set up of my room - it wouldn't make a difference anyway. So I go for the bang for your buck theory. I try out the plug in then look around on the web for reviews to see if there's something better / if it's getting slammed or whatever. If it sounds better than what I already have - I go for it.

I remember Noyzi saying he used it on the FP REMIX TAPE and that one came out sounding good to me...

It's just like anything else, people use different DAWS for different reasons, different plugins for different reasons, etc. I'm late to the PSP Vintage Warmer ball game but that's why I come to this site anyway. I would've never known about REASON or LIVE if it were not for snooping around ... you live + learn.

I'm glad I bought it. I think I'm done with plugins after this purchase.

... again, I could tell an immediate different between the stock plugins and this one. It would've taken a rack of stock plugins to do what this one did with a few MINOR tweaks. I wasn't expecting to be impressed but I was.

Long live QUALITY PLUGINS! There's a reason people don't always run with the stock stuff and I just heard it.

Keep Bangin'...

Rome, when you get a chance, take the warmer off the master, and put the saturator "hot tubes" in there, with wet% of about 5%. Just curious if this doesn't come close to the warming plugin. You may have to tweak the other settings a bit.

Rome, when you get a chance, take the warmer off the master, and put the saturator "hot tubes" in there, with wet% of about 5%. Just curious if this doesn't come close to the warming plugin. You may have to tweak the other settings a bit.

Ok, I'll give that a shot.

... idk sometimes it just seems like the LIVE plugins aren't really "doing" anything.... I'm not sure how to explain it.

Like if I put the LIVE reverb on something.... yeah something happens but if I put Da GlaVerb on the same audio... something REALLY happens.

I don't have much time to make music... let alone tweaking plugins. I think I've only tweak three sounds in my entire life and didn't save the presets then either.

Hell, I wish there was a MIXERIZE and MASTERIZE button...

these days you can do that. But even as recent as 4 or 5 years ago I think we all know that was not really the case outside of maybe Pro Tools plugs. A lot of the stock stuff in software in 2004-05 was not that easy to use and wasnt that great of quality thats all I meant. Hell even with stock sounds. I am only recently 7 years later starting to really mess with Reason's factory Sound Bank a lot. I used to go straight for refills. Some of the stuff in it is really good though

Ok, I'll give that a shot.

... idk sometimes it just seems like the LIVE plugins aren't really "doing" anything.... I'm not sure how to explain it.

Like if I put the LIVE reverb on something.... yeah something happens but if I put Da GlaVerb on the same audio... something REALLY happens.

Hmmm, that's kind of odd becuase by default ableton put's preset's effects wet% to 100% when you drop one in. Are you trying any of the presets? Like, if you click the little triangle to the left of the effect in the menu, it will open a drop down menu with a bunch of presets. I think maybe if you dont use a preset everything will be set to flat, and so yeah, you wont hear any difference.

these days you can do that. But even as recent as 4 or 5 years ago I think we all know that was not really the case outside of maybe Pro Tools plugs. A lot of the stock stuff in software in 2004-05 was not that easy to use and wasnt that great of quality thats all I meant. Hell even with stock sounds. I am only recently 7 years later starting to really mess with Reason's factory Sound Bank a lot. I used to go straight for refills. Some of the stuff in it is really good though

Most of it is the same stuff that was there 5 years ago, lol. The stuff that get's added wasn't as important 5 years ago. I did buy the Waves L3($500)back when brickwall limiters weren't included in DAWs(they're so common now in DAWs and bundles that's one of the most senseless purchases I've ever made). I can't think of anything else I ever needed that was never in the DAW(pitch correction/Autotune excluded because I don't use it).

Back