Ableton Live sampling

B

big timothy

Alright I feel stupid because this seems like such an easy question to me. I have tried though, looked in the manual, the tips thing on the right, and I've tried just by myself, too, but I can't figure this out.

I got the hang of putting stuff together with the factory loops. But, I need help with getting my own samples into it. I know how to just record, but where to?

So basically, it's a question of how to get my loops and drums chopped up and looped correctly in the program so I can start my collection of samples to be used. I want to be able to take the record I recorded, chop the drum loops into individual drum hits or little fills and grooves, cut the stuff I want for melodies and bass into loops and hits, and save it into the program so they can be easily clicked to sequence and tap out and all that jazz. What is the best way to do this?

P.S. I searched but I could not find anything specific. Especially not with this foreign search feature lol.

Thanks !

I'm here, though if I am the right person to answer this might be questioned, since I don't really "collect" samples to be used later on (excluding drums)...

Damn, I'm loaded with work right now - if you want to break it down a bit more into specifics in the mean time, I'll try to answer later.

krushing said:
I'm here, though if I am the right person to answer this might be questioned, since I don't really "collect" samples to be used later on (excluding drums)...

Damn, I'm loaded with work right now - if you want to break it down a bit more into specifics in the mean time, I'll try to answer later.

you gave me an idea a couple of days ago then I figured it on my own!
press TAB which changes the screen to the sequencer. Drag a file into one of the tracks. Highlight the bars you wanna sample. Stop playback. Press CTRL + E. Drag what you just cut into a new track. Copy it. Press TAB again. Paste the new loop into a new track. You have just sampled!

Last edited:
Tyree D. said:

you gave me an idea a couple of days ago then I figured it on my own!
press TAB which changes the screen to the sequencer. Drag a file into one of the tracks. Highlight the bars you wanna sample. Stop playback. Press CTRL + E. Drag what you just cut into a new track. Copy it. Press TAB again. Paste the new loop into a new track. You have just sampled!

Thanks for the help man. But two questions though. First, if I just wanted to collect the samples and save them instead of using them right away, how would I do that? Maybe render the loop I just made to disk in the clips folder? Second, how would I go about chopping individual drum sounds to get them saved and into Impulse? And what if i have a 2 beat drum break fill thang, and I want to mess with that to get the drums instead of just a one sound/beat each pad tap out thing?

Now those things I don't know. I haven't tried to learn since I'm satisfied with Reason.
For saving these new loops, right now I just save the live set and cut and paste the sounds to new sets. To chop a beat, you divide your loop into even more pieces then scramble it.

Anybody else have any ideas on any of my questions?

big timothy said:
Thanks for the help man. But two questions though. First, if I just wanted to collect the samples and save them instead of using them right away, how would I do that? Maybe render the loop I just made to disk in the clips folder? Second, how would I go about chopping individual drum sounds to get them saved and into Impulse? And what if i have a 2 beat drum break fill thang, and I want to mess with that to get the drums instead of just a one sound/beat each pad tap out thing?

I don't know what lesson it is because I'm at work right now, but there's one that shows you step by step how take a drum loop and send the individual hits to Impulse. You may need to read it a few times (I know I did) but it will make sense after a while. Hope that helped. :cheers:

I'm runnin' AL6 and I have a Axiom 25 and I still can't figure out how send samples to the pads like the MPC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerazyck said:
I'm runnin' AL6 and I have a Axiom 25 and I still can't figure out how send samples to the pads like the MPC.

yea i'm running AL5 with the axiom 25 and i had to manually reset the midi messages sent from the pads. i can't remember how i did it but i used the axiom manual off the maudio website. now i can trigger the pads like the mpc, but the problem then becomes only havin 8 pads and having to change the triggers all the time.

cunningham26 said:
yea i'm running AL5 with the axiom 25 and i had to manually reset the midi messages sent from the pads. i can't remember how i did it but i used the axiom manual off the maudio website. now i can trigger the pads like the mpc, but the problem then becomes only havin 8 pads and having to change the triggers all the time.

Yeah, I just figured it out my damny! You can also assign samples to the keys.

Back