The Ableton Live Knowledge Club !

If you drag a session view clip over to the arrangement view toggle icon, Live will switch to arrangement view and allow you to drop the clip.

I think I said earlier that you have to use Ctrl + select the clip and then Tab... that works but it's not the only way.

Also you don't really have to toggle between the pencil and select tool, just double click in the grid with the select tool and it highlights the part of the grid you want highlighted (no, I did not know this, lol).

Also I think it's best to go with the Suite. It looks like they cater to the Suite the most. They just added something called AMP to it with the 8.2release.

Also I used to complain about LIVE crashing, I have an M-Audio midi controller and it wasn't interacting well with my VST's... so I was incorrectly blaming LIVE. I downloaded some new drivers from M-Audio / Avid and LIVE hasn't crashed since...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you drag a session view clip over to the arrangement view toggle icon, Live will switch to arrangement view and allow you to drop the clip.

I just click to drag the sample, hit tab and it switches to arrangement :) works like a charm.

You should update the first post with some of the tips found in here whenever you have time for it... That would make it a truly great go-to post for ableton live knowledge.

Once again, props on the thread

Oh, after a post gets so old you lose the edit capabilities so I can't update the first post.

We should start posting Ableton Live vids in this thread.

Here's a site to checkout when you have some downtime though...

http://abletonlife.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
ah... maybe we should just start a new thread and have that one stickied then... would be a pretty sweet resource/pass time xD
havent seen that site before, but looks promising..
had something like that in bookmarks on my last computer, but i forgot to transfer bookmarks :(

Ableton is a staple in my everyday setup since i swithed to software and let go of the motif and mpc. I can find a program i like better then live and i have been trying becuz for some reason my live keeps crashing on my mac...oh well, i still am i def live fan

i switched to using Reason from fl studio lately and I'm progressing pretty smoothly with it. I read that rewire reason in live is a tight set up so I'm trying it out and I must say live got me feelin like a tard lol.. I mean, it's very unique looking and I just couldn't grasp the flow of it, granted I only messed with it for a little bit so far didn't even setup a rewire yet... so ima def peep this thread as well as some basic video tutorials

i switched to using Reason from fl studio lately and I'm progressing pretty smoothly with it. I read that rewire reason in live is a tight set up so I'm trying it out and I must say live got me feelin like a tard lol.. I mean, it's very unique looking and I just couldn't grasp the flow of it, granted I only messed with it for a little bit so far didn't even setup a rewire yet... so ima def peep this thread as well as some basic video tutorials

Yeah Ableton @ Reason is the best rewire combo IMO
with live of course as the master

Ableton is a staple in my everyday setup since i swithed to software and let go of the motif and mpc. I can find a program i like better then live and i have been trying becuz for some reason my live keeps crashing on my mac...oh well, i still am i def live fan

I had the same exact problem and could not figure out what the issue was. Just switched to a PC instead. I assumed it was because I didn't have enough ram.

I got a question I have never been able to find the answer to. Is there anyway to change the selection default or whatever so that when nothing is selected and I click on a clip in arrangement view it won't select every F-ing thing? I mean who came up with that idea? Obviously when I'm working on an arrangement and have a bunch of clips arranged how I want them, obviously when I click on something what I'm really trying to do is adjust EVERYTHING, obviously. I mean who would want to just select the one clip they actually clicked on? That's CRAZY TALK!

Also, is there anyway to get a clip into arrangement view without "recording" it in (and usually recording over everything else in the process)?

It's crazy how such a genius program that got so much so right can have just a couple completely idiotic things in it.

is there anyway to get a clip into arrangement view without "recording" it in (and usually recording over everything else in the process)?

Yea it's easy u take your clip from session
View and just drag it to arrangement by dragging it to the button that u push to switch views on the top right corner

I got a question I have never been able to find the answer to. Is there anyway to change the selection default or whatever so that when nothing is selected and I click on a clip in arrangement view it won't select every F-ing thing? I mean who came up with that idea? Obviously when I'm working on an arrangement and have a bunch of clips arranged how I want them, obviously when I click on something what I'm really trying to do is adjust EVERYTHING, obviously. I mean who would want to just select the one clip they actually clicked on? That's CRAZY TALK!

This sounds messed up and it certainly isn't supposed to work that way. How are you even able to do anything there if it selects everything? And can you clarify - do you actually mean that clicking on one clip does the same thing as picking "select all" (or ctrl/cmd-A) from the menu? I'd reinstall, tbh.

Also, is there anyway to get a clip into arrangement view without "recording" it in (and usually recording over everything else in the process)?

In addition to what AudioCzar said, you can just start dragging, and then hit tab to switch to arrangement. Live's workflow doesn't really take off until you've learned the keyboard shortcuts, imo.

Some one should clean up this thread. Or some one should compile the tips into a new thread.

When i sample. I take the portion i am chopping,(let say im chopping a 4 bar loop, at every beat.) I crop the 4 bars(after duplicating the clip ), prior to slicing to midi. The reason being is, if i want to adjust my chops in the drum rack, i only have to view the wav forms of the 4 bars while adjusting the start points. If you dont crop first, you see the whole songs wav forms and have to do a lot of zooming.

Hello,

Ableton Live 8 looks great, some of my friend work with it and the bank is amazing. I stick to an old reaktor, but live 8 is my next choice.

cheers brian :monkey:

Anybody here use Ableton's "brick wall" compressor setting (or any other settings) to master music?

Hi guys, I think I can contribute some usefull stuff to this thread:

My favorite discovery in Live is that you can 'overwrite' automation keypoints by holding SHIFT while you drag one point over other points. This saves me a LOT of clicking when I need to clean up recorded automation ;)

There's also a very good Live shortcuts image out there, but I'm not allowed to post images atm, so you just have to google for images with 'ableton shortcuts' as a query (it's the black one).

Another thing I only recently discovered is that you actually CAN collect your channels in groups. This is great for keeping your projects manageble, but even better is that you can put effects on a group as well! No more messing around with sends (I never really figured those out in Live), just slap what you want on your entire group and you're ready to go.

Btw, the AMP from the latest version of Live RULES! It can beef up any sound in a lot of cool ways. It's kind of like a distortion unit combined with a Utility and the Slayer VST fx.

Back