Ableton Live:Is anybody else having problems with "heavy" VST's?

LERO

Hello! I’m using Ableton Live 5 on an iMac 1.8 GHz G5 with 1.5GB RAM. Recently I bought LinPlug’s Albino VST to use as a plug-in in Live. When I opened Live and started going through the sound banks of Albino etc everything was cool. But as soon as I recorded 3 midi channels with Albino sounds, the CPU meter of Live showed 75%-80%-110%-90%-100% and I started hearing cracks, the sound came out with short delays until I stopped playback and the meter started going down.
Now, this is not the first time I came across this kind of problem: when I used the Moog Modular VST the same thing happened. After 6 or 7 channels (3 of which were Moog sounds) I couldn’t continue with the track anymore cause the CPU meter was showing crazy overload numbers (80%-90%-110%)the sound was horribly distorted with cracks, delays etc. So, unfortunately, I stopped using the Moog VST.
Why do you think this is happening? I don’t have this kind of problem when I use a less “heavy” VST, the NI Absynth. And also I don’t have CPU problems when I use Live’s “own” instruments like Impulse or Operator or even when I use Live and Reason through Rewire. I must say that I don’t have a virus protector running and when I use Live there aren’t any other applications or programs running. Any suggestions? Does anyone have the same problem? I would really appreciate any kind of help:( , thanks

I am using built-in audio (not an external sound card) and 2 USB midi controllers: an m-audio oxygen 49 and a Korg padkontrol.

Well, you've almost gotten to the heart of your problem already - Albino and Moog Modular V can be pretty tasking for the CPU, and you're running multiple instances of them. Render some tracks to audio (preferably those that are "finished") to reduce the load. The iMac isn't really a "performance" computer in terms of pure computing power...

ok thanks!But can I transform midi tracks to audio tracks in Live?

Last edited:
True. The manual's "Routing and I/O" section, subsection "Internal Routings" covers this nicely.

krushing said:
True. The manual's "Routing and I/O" section, subsection "Internal Routings" covers this nicely.

Ok Krushing thanks a lot! That's what I'll do with Albino and Moog because I really like their sound.Especially Albino!Cheers!:cheers:

dansgold said:
ONLY if you read the manual. :bigeyes:

Ohh…I guess one of those “going over the threads and being judgmental and NOT helpful”guys has visited my thread…Ohh how cute….Oh wait wait!! Or is it THE SAME guy over and over again??NAh, either way you guys are like FP maskots:sooner or later you're gonna have one!:sing:

LERO said:
Ohh…I guess one of those “going over the threads and being judgmental and NOT helpful”guys has visited my thread…Ohh how cute….Oh wait wait!! Or is it THE SAME guy over and over again??NAh, either way you guys are like FP maskots:sooner or later you're gonna have one!:sing:

Nah, I completely understand why Dansgold does that. I guess I'm just a bit more tolerant, but basically the forum's bursting with questions that could've been answered easily by browsing the manual or help file for a couple of minutes, but young folks like to have the answer handed to 'em. Take this situation and repeat it about ten thousand times, and you can see why the people that know this stuff and have written thousands of helpful answers can't bother to keep it up all the time. :cheers:

Looks like I'm in a surprisingly good mood today!

Yes, I understand I’ve witnessed that myself.
But you cannot assume that everybody in the FP forums asking “obvious ” questions is this or that. The only thing this kind of judgmental comments does is showing the arrogance of the person who writes them: “ ohh you asked this kind of question I’ve got you all figured out”! If this is the case let’s go to the “getting started” part of the FP forum and start chopping everybody’s head of!

Anyway, I’ll wrap it up with this example: a week ago I had a problem in Reason and another member gave me the solution to my problem. I was in such a state of frustration (because of the problem) and fatigue (many hours cooking my softwares) that after I thanked him I asked him another question. The moment I saw his answer I realized how stupid my question must have seemed…The answer was not even based on the manual, it was soooo simple common sense!!! But he/she gladly answered me without any kind of arrogant remarks!

And the bottom line is: You don’t like somebody’s question? Don’t answer him and spear everybody your critique!
Anyway, it's all cool :cool: cheers!

Back