Ableton Live 7 is OUT!

my only concerns are how many bugs are there in live 7.

it seems like ableton coded up and beta tested live 7 inside of 2 1/2 months.

i do not understand the write up for the new audio engine and midi implementation.

yes, i have downloaded live 7 but i will keep live 6 on my machine for a minute.

Last edited:
I am confused about the new drum rack. I watced the video, but it never stated whether or not:

1. Slices could be edited.
2. Slices could be edited with effects per slice.
3. Slices could be moved around.
4. If a user could slice manually and/or insert new ones.
5. If a user could delete slices.
6. If a user could custom map the slices where desired on the pads.

Last edited:
trusty, i'm already guessing from the points you've noted , that all these basic slicing and dicing feature is what we're expecting.

I've moved to sonar but ableton is a great program, I still might get it.

Trusty said:
I am confused about the new drum rack. I watced the video, but it never stated whether or not:

I think you can do these but sure about the others

This is the movie I saw
http://www.ableton.com/live-for-beat-creators

Last edited by a moderator:
Trusty said:

I'm pretty sure number 6 is possible too.

I'll be downloading this when I get home in 2 hours.

Thanks, Krushing.

Don't have the cash right now, but when I do, I'm going for the Suite!!!!!

Trusty said:

Trusty, Live 6 can do all of those things with Impulse, so I have no doubt in my mind that all of these things can be done with Drum Racks.

Last edited:
kb420 said:
Don't have the cash right now, but when I do, I'm going for the Suite!!!!!

I noticed that the Academic price for the Suite is $499.99 That isn't a bad price at all. Those Applied Acoustics instruments are real nice sounding...however, they are extremely ugly looking with the Ableton GUIs.

Anyway, anyone try it yet and get an answer of my questions 4 and 5?

Trusty said:
I noticed that the Academic price for the Suite is $499.99 That isn't a bad price at all. Those Applied Acoustics instruments are real nice sounding...however, they are extremely ugly looking with the Ableton GUIs.

Anyway, anyone try it yet and get an answer of my questions 4 and 5?

You could already do that in Live 6, so yes, this can be done in Live 7.

The upgrade price for the Suite is only $399 if you already own EIC, Sampler, and Operator.

Last edited:
kb420 said:
You could already do that in Live 6, so yes, this can be done in Live 7.

The upgrade price for the Suite is only $399 if you already own EIC, Sampler, and Operator.

That probably makes Live the new #1 choice over FL Studio for all those mainly "sampling" producers. Or at least it should. Live LE 7 would probably work just as good for that too though.

Hmmm...I wonder if they will let me update to Live Lite 7 for free whenever that comes out for free and give it a spin...4 audio tracks, 4 midi tracks makes Live Lite all someone needs to make a sampled beat...for free! LOL

Trusty said:
That probably makes Live the new #1 choice over FL Studio for all those mainly "sampling" producers. Or at least it should.
Hm, I dunno about all that lol. I might be forced to switch to Live tho, only cuz if I get a Mac I absolutely refuse to install Windows on it. Boy, I will miss the hell outta FL. Unless I can get Garageband to do everything I love FL for, I'ma have to learn Live... seems like the only suitable option for sample-based producers.

Trusty said:
That probably makes Live the new #1 choice over FL Studio for all those mainly "sampling" producers. Or at least it should. Live LE 7 would probably work just as good for that too though.

Hmmm...I wonder if they will let me update to Live Lite 7 for free whenever that comes out for free and give it a spin...4 audio tracks, 4 midi tracks makes Live Lite all someone needs to make a sampled beat...for free! LOL

I don't think you will get that many people switching to Live
because they may depend on FL"s stepsequencer too much.

The ones that use a mpd or midi key for sequencing may.

Trusty said:

With all of this interest you are showing for Live, you might as well take the dive.

Come on in man, the water's fine!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers: :cheers: :victory: :victory: :victory: :victory:

Trusty said:

When you slice a loop, Live creates a drum rack on a new track where:

1. Each slice is automatically mapped chromatically to pads.

2. Midi clip is generated that plays the rack in the manner a loop is played (typical REX fashion)

3. You can edit slices easily since each slice in a drum rack is just an individual simpler module with the start and end points auto adjusted to play the slice. You can change this if you want, you can also do easy synth effects, transposing, envelopes, filters.

4. The drum rack architecture allows you to chain insert effects on each pad in the drum rack. You can also use a certain amount of return effects (6 I think).

5. You can either rearrange the slices on the drum rack, or alter the midi clip to move the slices.

6. The process really just group of simplers, you can manually slice about anything, it would take some time but it is fairly just simple waveform style editing (circling in on start and end points). You can also replace slices with your own or somebody else's drum sounds.

7. Slices can be:

1. Deleted
2. Replaced
3. Muted
4. Deactivated by individual midi notes (in the piano roll)

8. To answer your custom question, Live have a few slicing options at the beginning of the slicing process, It doesn't give you full custom control but you can determine if you want to slice by sixteenth, eigth notes, or warp markers.

Other plusses:

If you have an Ableton supported controller like M audio Trigger Finger, the pads will automatically be mapped to whatever the grid on the drum rack is so you can always play what you are seeing.

And you can also create kits that cover the entire midi range.

Kits don't have to be samples, you can also drum rack softsynths. So if you like a kick in Rapture, drag synth into drum pad, adjust Input and output mapping notes, you can put your synths in drum racks.

Drum racks almost take care of Live's lack of Drum maps. The drum racks is really just a glorified Drum map (Drum names also appear in the piano roll) but you can't map external midi which was the Drum map's original purpose.

Last edited:
Live 7 and Reason 4. Pretty much all you need.

I can't wait to get my hands on it. If it sounds as good as Sonar, with it's new engine, eq, and compressor, maybe I won't upgrade to Sonar 7. I'll just use Live for everything.

I will miss the VC 64, but I guess I can always load a wav file into 6 and bounce it. Either that, or buy the Kjhaerus version.

gac-1_fullsize.gif

Back