Ableton Live 5???

DiaboliC

Is it me is live lacking a good work flow???i been trying to get into it but it seems like it has a horrible work flow...maybe it gets better i been using it for a week...

but so fare the work flow bites

:D :D

Workflow is one of the single most important selling points of Live. It's also one of the most common reasons people state when they switch to it; they like the way they can very quickly build around ideas and experiment with everything in realtime, without even stopping the project playing. That's how I switched to Live as well. The environment is designed from ground up for smooth workflow.

You say you have been using it for a week. Have you read the manual? What about the tutorials?

Edit: And oh, don't forget: as you have just started using Live, you will receive a free upgrade license for version 6 when it comes out! ;)

Last edited:
DiaboliC said:
I think the fact u cant open the piano roll full veiw is killing me

All you have to do is place your pointer on the line in between the clip dispay and the mixer section and drag it to the top of the screen, and also click on the arrow on the lower left hand corner of your screen. That should let your piano roll take up the entire screen.

I love Live's workflow.

i think live is the closest thing to hardware as far as workflow

yea im getting better rewired reason into live was tight im getting a hang of it so far its tight but i aint good enough on it to make it my main daw

i dont know whats bugging me is that i can click anywhere in my song and it plays from that point its all thats bugging me..

but im learning more and more and have expectations to make it my main DAW

You really should read the manual and learn the combined keyboard and mouse user interface.

You can place location markers on the timeline in the arrangement and assign single keypress controls to any of them. As you normally start playing the project with the space bar, mapping different markers to the keys Q-R (for example) gives you instant jump control into different important parts of your project. Think about it: the thumb of your left hand on the space bar, and the other fingers resting naturally on Q-R.

After that it will soon grow to be an instant reflex when you want to start playing at an exact location. I usually keep Q always at the start of the project, and move W-R (and onwards) according to important sections in the arrangement while I'm editing. "Let's hear it from... there" --> instantly pressing key and space bar, in a fraction of a second. Combined with the fact that you can indeed set the playing position with one mouseclick, and also zoom any time into any exact location in the project with just one click and a drag, you have practically instant control over the arrangement at all times.

Last edited:
im so into live, anything else jus feels wrong.........
(for beats)

I really don't like the drum sequencer in Live, I don't know what it is about it, but give me ReDrum over it any day.

i only use the live drum sequencer when i use my trigger finger but yeah, everything else is redrum all the way. its a good drum machine

Lil Chris said:
I really don't like the drum sequencer in Live, I don't know what it is about it, but give me ReDrum over it any day.

Just to make my a*shole remark of the day, there is no drum sequencer in Live ;)

(but yeah, the Impulse is pretty limited - I still tend to use it most of the time instead of loading up something more complex)

I dig Live. I use M-Audio's iDrum to sequence drums (cool swing settings). It's a whole lot like ReDrum. Other than chopping samples in Recycle and drums in iDrum, everything happens in Live. It's extremely easy to get something down fast and there's enough to it to make full, good-sounding songs/compositions.

listen to my most recent songs. all Reason and Live. check out my 2002 version of The Dream and my new remaster. I bounced the old vocals and midi data to Reason and Live.

Back