16 levels in ableton

alwayzambitious

there is more to the mpc that ableton needs to do than just cutting off the pads... for example, the sixteen levels thing i learned, that an mpc can do, they can do 16 levels of velocity, tuning and a few other parameters..( velocity, tune, filter, layer, attack or decay to 16 different levels.)

im trying to emulate the mpc 16 levels but no success.
i found this link https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312951
but it was only for velocity

I don't really know how the 16 levels thing works...but obviously all those parameters are freely adjustable for any and each sample. Does it have to be doable straight from the pads? If yes, you'll probably have to map some macros & use the parameter ranges to get it working right (but it should be doable, at least up to a point...).

is it just a matter of changing the transpose or change detune variable +1 until u get to sixteen... if i can figure out how to do it manually in ableton then id be goood...

Well, yeah, if you just want 16 different semitones of the same sample. I'd just assign a knob or a slider to the transpose setting if I wanted an easy way to tune a sample from a controller though - the MPC way sounds more like a workaround than the optimal solution. Transpose goes in semitones, detune goes in cents (100 cents = 1 semitone).

is it just a matter of changing the transpose or change detune variable +1 until u get to sixteen... if i can figure out how to do it manually in ableton then id be goood...

Simple. just put it in a drum rack. and move the slice to each pad. transpose each by +1

Then again, if all you want is to pitch samples & have varying velocities (along with the other parameters), a humble Simpler by itself will do all of it (for a single sample). The Drum Rack doesn't accommodate for keyranges, though, so that'll take some rack-building to get around.

The padkontrol has a 16 levels function. I dunno about other controllers, and i dunno about 16 filter/attack/etc., but they would probably have to be programmed to respond to velocity.

The padkontrol has a 16 levels function. I dunno about other controllers, and i dunno about 16 filter/attack/etc., but they would probably have to be programmed to respond to velocity.

The 16 Levels feature on most controllers only manipulate velocity; its programmed into the controller to set each pad to a different velocity when the feature is in use. Anything else (filter, attack, tuning) will have to be set in the software.

Back