Can someone please explain to me what is a vst?

FreshBeatzBx

I dont think I have a concise understanding. The reason I ask is because I realized I'm terrible at making a bassline for my rap beats. I also realized I dont have any good bass samples which basically in the end brought me to what is a vst?

Virtual Studio Technology - is the standard term, but Vst plugins are software designed to work inside a host DAW, some vst's also work independent of a DAW, Virtual Synthesizers, Drum machines, Drum Kits, Bass units, string synthesis, amplifiers, reverbs, equalizers, doublers, delay units, just about anything you get in solid state equipment, can be mimicked, emulated and in some cases (arguably) surpassed, in virtual software. Vst is a cross platform format/ standard (Originally designed by German Company Steinberg) - in simple terms you can use them in most production Workstations, FL studio, Ableton Live 8, Cubase and Reason 6 so I believe can all run the VST format. You control them with a midi keyboard or you can draw in a sequence with your mouse or use keyboard keys, on most DAW's. If you visit the websites below you will get a greater sense of what vst is all about and what may suit your needs, help improve things, there are many vst's for free, the world of vst is immense -

The 20 best VST plug-in synths in the world today | MusicRadar.com

VSTPLANET - VST Plugins Free - Virtual instruments and effects

*Pluginboutique VST Plugins, Synth Presets and Virtual Instruments, Effects and Studio Tools Online

FL Studio - Installing VST plugins - Warbeats Tutorial - YouTube

ABLETON LIVE: How to insert a VST instrument - YouTube

Last edited:
A VST is essentially a small program that gets loaded into your Digital Audio Workstation (a larger program). VSTs are generally of two types, Synths/Instruments or Effects. Effect VSTs take an input signal (your original sound) and output a modified signal after the effect is applied. Synths generate waveforms (the sound) through mathematical algorithms tailored to achieve a specific sound the author wanted to get. Instrument VSTs are generally sample based, albeit sometimes extremely complicated. Some grand piano instruments can take up 12-16 gigs of pure uncompressed samples (just for one instrument!).

Some good effects VSTs to get started on are bootsy's collection at variety of sound

Some good synths to try out are the Korg legacy collection synths, especially the M1 and WAVESTATION (my two favorites)

other synth brands to check out are G-Force and tone2

sorry I can't post links to them but I don't have a high enough post count.

To round out the description:

VST - VirtualStudioTechnology was a concept introduced by Steinberg for use in it's flagship product Cubase. It became so popular that just about every other daw jumped on the bandwagon adding an interface to allow VST plug-ins to be accessed as part of the native processing of the daw.

We are currently at version 3 of the specification which is backwards compatible with earlier versions.

Folks who created software saw an opportunity to not only add FX processing but also software instruments and samplers/romplers with built-in FX.

another small note, vst are effects while vsti are instruments. however most people refer to both as vst

Back