Best music producing software?

Geetings! In my opinion i would have to say Reason 10! I've used Pro-tools for a while but i was importing Music that i wrote in Reason. After Reason made the program better by being able to record vocals it was a wrap! Reason supports VST's as well so of coursethats a plus,but to have full control of everything in one place is sooooo much easier!

For 2 years i used FL studio producer edition and found it amazing, especially as it is clean and beginner friendly, but as i progressed and my music became more intricate, detailed and CPU demanding. I moved to Cubase 10 Artist. And I have had my eyes opened, it's an absolute work horse of a DAW. The features and workflow of this DAW are unrivalled in my eyes. I highly recommend checking it out.

It depends a bit on what kind of music you want to create.
Personally I primarily use Reason, but if you're going to produce music where your workflow requires a lot of audio recording and advanced sequencing tasks, Reason is a little clunky to work with.
Its sequencer is very basic, like, no auto-punch in/out, no chord track and other advanced sequencer features that you see in some other DAWs, like Logic, Studio One and some others.

That said, I believe Reason is the best option for most creative workflows, including beat-making, remixing and all sorts of tasks related to modern electronic music production.
There's a lot of hype around Ableton Live these days, but for me personally it wasn't the right choice. I actually sold my Live Suite license and Push device recently, because I don't have much use for the Live / Performance based aspect of Ableton Live.
If I was a DJ and / or a live performer, I'd probably choose Ableton Live, but for me, Reason makes more sense in every way.

Reason is a fun and inspiring DAW to work in compared to all other DAWs I've used through the last 12 years or so, this includes but is not limited to: Studio One (1-4), Logic Pro X, Ableton Live (8-10), Cubase and Pro Tools.
It has awesome sounding instruments included and is relatively easy to get going with. That's not to say it's simple in any way, it's as deep as the ocean once you understand how it really works and are able to take advantage of the insane routing possibilities involving control voltage patching on the backside of the rack and all the crazy combination of effects you can create using it.
But it works fine as a "regular" DAW as well, but as mentioned the sequencer part of the application is a little limited in functionality compared to some other DAWs, but there are workarounds for pretty much everything you'll need.

So, my advice is obviously Reason 10 if you're into electronic music production. If you're more of a guitar and vocals kinda guy, I'd go with Studio One 4. It to has become a seriously great DAW, but for me it's too much geared towards studio environments and general band-based music production.

Reason is the best of both worlds, and has a unique workflow with its rack based approach, and the lessons learned in Reason's rack is actually transferable to real life studio hardware, as the whole thing is modeled after actual studio gear.

Just my 2 cents.

Like cseder said, it all comes down to what you want from a daw. I have been a longtime Ableton user but switched to Bitwig about 4 months ago. For me, this daw combines amazing workflow with insane possibilities for modulating anything (even your vst plugins!) you could imagine.
It feels much more like an instrument than a "classic" daw but it got the important basics covered and is very stable in my experience.
The internal fx and synths are pretty capable and Phase-4 is one of my favorite synths now, sounds a lot like the Digitone.

Last edited:
I've heard Reason is the best although you can still produce tracks with FL Studio if you want to get away cheap.

I've heard Reason is the best although you can still produce tracks with FL Studio if you want to get away cheap.
For FL Studio to be usable you need to spend $199 for the producer edition (and probably some more for specific plugins like synths) and Reason 10 is on sale for $259 right now, unless you're talking about pirated versions of FL, the savings aren't that big of a deal.

Both options are valid though. FL has come a long way the last years and the latest producer edition is a good sounding production environment in its own right, and so is Reason 10.
Decide on one and stick to it. That's the most important thing.
Don't become a "DAW hopper", never learning one tool thoroughly because someone says this or that making you believe you made a bad choice and switch back and forth.

Same goes for synths. Choose ONE synth and learn the ins and outs of it, or you'll be switching between whatever is "hot" at the moment and only be able to use presets other people have made because you don't have the basic skills needed to make your own.

Reason is my best music producing software and has been since 2000. I also use FL Studio and Ableton, but Reason's UI is what I miss when using other DAWs.

The visual aspect of Reason has a positive impact on my creativity. The way Reason looks helps me make the music I make.

For FL Studio to be usable you need to spend $199 for the producer edition (and probably some more for specific plugins like synths) and Reason 10 is on sale for $259 right now, unless you're talking about pirated versions of FL, the savings aren't that big of a deal.

Both options are valid though. FL has come a long way the last years and the latest producer edition is a good sounding production environment in its own right, and so is Reason 10.
Decide on one and stick to it. That's the most important thing.
Don't become a "DAW hopper", never learning one tool thoroughly because someone says this or that making you believe you made a bad choice and switch back and forth.

Same goes for synths. Choose ONE synth and learn the ins and outs of it, or you'll be switching between whatever is "hot" at the moment and only be able to use presets other people have made because you don't have the basic skills needed to make your own.

Hi! When I started with fruity loops a couple of months ago I was reading that pirated FL did not not allow savings, too, but I could somehow... And I tried Ableton and FL, and in my view for (at least for a newbie) FL is the best option

Wow, I am stunned at the low number of Ableton responses. Perhaps it is because of a more studio driven environment, but if you are going to perform live, Ableton LIVE is the way to go. If you are just tracking live instruments, Pro Tools is industry standard for that, and depending on the approach, Cubase/FL Studio can be used as well.

Personally, I produce electronic music, with live automation of stems of grouped/bussed tracks that I can manipulate on the fly, much like a conductor. I also love Ableton to produce with and is really seen as one of the biggest contenders in the realm of electronic music.

I guess you have to look at the long term and type of music you intend to make.

Last edited:
Back