Best Free DAWs

L

Lenora

I'm thinking about a career in music production, but before I start buying software I want to know if you can recommend any free open-source DAWs that I can use.

I want to make sure that this is something that I can stick with, and I don't to waste any money.

Any suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

the fl studio demo is great, but you cant save i think :)

also fl studio is a very good program to start out with, i use it myself, and i think its a very easy DAW to navigate around in

REAPER not entirely free but can be evaluated for as long as you want and everything works as normal apart from a nag screen after 30 days

theres also a free version of cubase stickied in this forum if you want to check that out too.

Google first results (1 minute) - Power Sound Editor, Wavosaur, Traverso DAW, Ardour(looks great), Rosegarden, LMMS(great too), Qtractor. Just google it. No one will know much these fellas. And also, DAWs are user-preferable. One likes FL, other is in love with Pro-Tools. You, yeah YOU will never know until you try.

I wanna thank everyone for all of their suggestions. I'm real interested in Steinberg's Sequel software so I'm gonna download the trial version and play around wit it.

---------- Post added 11-14-2012 at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-06-2012 at 02:36 PM ----------

Update: I couldn't get Sequel 3 to work on my computer. It only works on Windows 7, but I heard that it could also work on Vista. So, I'm gonna download try the Reaper demo instead.

Last edited:
This is a career that requires passion, you dont just decide to do it one day. So if you are already questioning it from the start Im wondering how serious you are. But if you are in fact serious, spend some money and buy a decent program. They are not that expensive now a days.

Poduim free is pretty full featured (unlimited tracks/effects).
MuLab free, and Samplitude Silver are worth a look too.
There's a soundcloud edition of Samp silver too (same thing as silver with soundcloud export).
Reaper while not actually free, does alow you to use the software as a unlimited trial with a nag screen.

If you want pattern based stuff LMMS, and Psycle are worth a look too.

Last edited:
MuLab free and Samplitude Silver sound cool. Which one do you think I should try first?

Studio One Free from Presonus.

Yes FREE! NOT a demo, won't time out and you can save your work.

More than enough to get started and stay out of trouble!

When you master this, look on to something more "up".....

REAPER is a great DAW, and its a free evaluation/demo, you just gotta wait like 5 seconds of a message everytime you open it
If you want a good, natural sounding piano plugin, look up CVPiano, I've had good luck with a nice sounding piano with that plugin
the KVR forums have a lot of freeware plugins and, if you're lucky, someone may have left a review for one.

Back