Ableton is killing me!

L

LewisMeasure

Hi guys,

I thought i'd post this up here in hope of someone knowing the issue or perhaps has had the same problem.

In ableton 8 whenever i place a vst plug for example a compressor. I have to turn it to "device on" and thats fine but whenever i close the project and re open it the device is turned back to "off"

This means if i have 10 plugins on a project i have to go through them an turn them all on everytime i open the project is there anyway of making sure ableton doesn't turn them off?

I cant find anything online or the manual and haven't heard back from ableton's customer services. I think its something to do with saving cpu but its really annoying me.

Any replies are much appreciated guys

:hello:

It sounds like automation to me. Do you have any midi controllers with knobs or sliders? Sometimes those can send out midi messages and ableton recieves them wrong if their not on the right input, or the midi controller isn't set on the right memory preset. It sounds like a global problem did you try looking on your master channel automation. Also if the compressor turns off you can right click on the on/off button and go to show automation.

Be sure that it isn't because you froze the tracks, freeze bounces all your midi data to audio to save cpu usage, and further editing isn't possible with effects until you unfreeze them. Maybe start a new project just to test if you get the same results with everything turning off, and also try a new project without any midi gear inserted.

Last edited:
Thank for replying,
I unplugged all other external devices except my AI and Midi Keyboard. I also checked the automation on my master channel and other tracks. It seems that the plugins are actually set to "device on" but are not working unless I turn them off then back on again. Its a really weird problem because the standard Ableton plugins don't behave the same way.

According to a friend it may have been caused by an update. Im going to uninstall and re install without the update because this has only started happening recently.

Fingers crossed :D

Back