Learn how to TRIPLE your current sound library for FREE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting this<style>.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; z-index: 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}</style>

When it is all said and done and you listen to a recording, I'll bet you couldn't tell if it was done with SampleTank or those other products. In fact, some of the more rare/interesting instruments will sound better in SampleTank form in my opinion (and I've had that opinion before working for IK and I have worked in the industry after attending a renowned college of music - not to drop credentials, just giving context - so I've had access to about everything that's out there). So perhaps you could tell but not because Sampletank is any worse, but because things like SampleMoog, SampleTron, some of the Sonic Reality rare instruments, some of the Xpansion Tanks have such personality. Add that Sampletank is lightweight and has a fast work flow and I'd say in my professional and personal opinion it rocks.

I never said or even implied that it wouldn't need any updating. Seems there are words being put into mine and Kev West's mouths here, likely unintentionally. I'm saying SampleTank sounds stand up as it is now. So did AmpliTube 2 - no other sim touched it but we still raised the bar. We're not looking to copy those other products you mentioned, we choose to blaze our out trail like we have in the past and will far into the future. The only thing we emulate is gear, not other people's products.

And I didn't mean to upset you, but I'm not making up statistics - I know and have known pros that choose SampleTank for many different reasons and they don't get in rooms and do academic shootouts - they produce music with the tools they prefer to use for their own reasons. I found out after I started with IK, for example, that a long-time set of friends and professional musicians from Berklee who had migrated to LA to continue working 100% professionally had SampleTank all over their album. Just a random sampling there, and when I run into people I've gone to school with who now make their income completely with music most of them say they've been using IK tools regularly. When I ran into George Clinton of P-Funk after one of his shows he wanted someone from IK to come to his studio to help them get even more use out of our tools because he and many of his musicians think they rock.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

and I'll (try to) "leave it at" the fact that many of these sounds do not get dated anyway and are the best sampled versions - such as SampleMoog and SampleTron. Do those sounds change? Do we need to resample a MiniMoog? Or hire yet another Moog artist like Erik Norlander and get their custom gear like we did with his Wall of Doom HUGE modular Moog setup? We keep him on working on SampleTank and other products for a reason and we are chosen by companies like Moog (yes they chose us to do SampleMoog with the likes of Erik Norlander and Dave Kerzner), the Hendrix estate (we are still continuing contact with them due to their satisfaction with our great work on a legend's gear), Orange, Fender, and an upcoming artist and brand that are legendary. This is why many artists tour with our Powered by Sampletank and Powered by Amplitube gear.

But put them together in a room, I suppose they might give you the statistic you've guessed at if it let them get back to creating great music and/or gear :)

Last edited:
I am not upset at all and I can indeed be objective because I've been using IK products for FAR longer than I've been with them and would give the same endorsement and would run into the same and different people before I was with IK using these products as well. The data falls both before and during my time with IK and is entirely accurate and non-biased before I was with them so I feel full confident in my statements.

We're comparing apples and oranges anyway, SampleTank is a great workstation and will reamin that way and will get updated with an even better engine and more sounds which will likely still focus on the great strengths it has. It honestly seems that most people are interested in changing the ST GUI, adding even more performance-friendly tools, and adding more sounds while retaining the workstation power that it has as a great tool in the studio and live. That's a testament to its unique qualities that set it apart from others, and based on actual market research statistics as we do really pay attention to what our customers have to say.

Yes, what you have to say is obviously listened to as well and I don't want you to think I'm debating or anything like that or even upset. It is all good. THIS is how we get really good "street data" and not just some silly survey or anything like that. Social/forum buzz is important and hopefully we're not the only ones that take that into account. Though, I hope you can see from even this interaction that we're here and responding almost (if not definitely) daily. Please invite reps from the other products you've mentioned to participate in a similar discussion and I'd be curious to see the attention and turnout.

A single name was mentioned in my message. I make fair points about direct experiences in the industry mentioning ONE artist (the rest can be seen on the IK site or elsewhere), and I didn't mean to make you not believe the truth. There are many that know me directly (especially via KVR way before I was with IK, and like I said in my experience both personally, professionally, and academically) who know this to be 100% true and that I'm a completely honest person.

I also mentioned regular people who I actually still know and have worked with, not celeb alums who just were there at the same time. Those folks still make 100% of their income with music and clearly enjoy our products too - kind of the "regular guys" of the industry doing what they love to get by. Steve Vai seems nice too, I met him at last year's Experience Hendrix show (which we sponsored) but no I didn't pay for those tickets either so I suppose that makes me a name-dropper that's supposed to feel guilty :(

Sorry you don't believe it and sorry that this thread has been so derailed. Seems a shame. Great contribution by OP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back