Yamaha Motif vs Propellerhead Reason (hip hop production)

essedbl

Hi All,

I'm new to producing beats. I have a reason set up, and I was thinking of getting a yamaha motif. I have played with the Motif at the store and I like some of the sounds. But I'm wondering if you all think it is a good addition, or a waste. I have searched for reason refills that have the Motif sounds, but I haven't been successful.

I know a lot of pro producers use the Motif (or so I have read/heard). I'm just wondering if anyone can say whether the sounds of the Motif can be reproduced with reason, or if it is necessary to have the real McCoy. Also, I am just considering getting the rack-mount sound module, as I have a pretty good keyboard midi controller.

Motif has some of the best pianos IMO, but Reason has a nice stock piano in the Combinator called Five Meter Grand Piano. Kontakt even has a patch that emulates the Motif 7 which is what i use and it's REALLY close to the board, my boy has the Motif 6 and I can't get off it when I see it. If you have a chance to get a Motif go for it....I would.

Thanks for the feedback my dude. Yeah, I have played with it at the stores and I love the sounds. I have searched for refills, but all the comments I have read about motif refills is that they are garbage... I'm thinking about getting the motif rack-mount cuz its wayyyy cheaper than the full keyboard. And I think its the same sounds.

All good folks....95% of my music has the Motif sounds from Kontakt in it, hope to hear some stuff you come up with when you get it.

I own both...Reason is cool but motif wins hands down....vst and computer bases synths are cool and all,but your alwaayysss gonna go back to the motif from time to time...Alot of pros actually do use the motif once you become familiar with the patches you will recognize alot of sounds in comercial music from 2000s and up

Motifs are dope. I'd say grab one if you plan on doing totally organic music. Reason is a lot more diverse than it I am sure though. I've made beats on motifs before but never owned one. part of me wants one and part of me doesnt care

Hi All,

I'm new to producing beats. I have a reason set up, and I was thinking of getting a yamaha motif. I have played with the Motif at the store and I like some of the sounds. But I'm wondering if you all think it is a good addition, or a waste. I have searched for reason refills that have the Motif sounds, but I haven't been successful.

I know a lot of pro producers use the Motif (or so I have read/heard). I'm just wondering if anyone can say whether the sounds of the Motif can be reproduced with reason, or if it is necessary to have the real McCoy. Also, I am just considering getting the rack-mount sound module, as I have a pretty good keyboard midi controller.

I own the Motif XS and Reason and I must say, you can't go wrong either way. What it comes down to is knowing the strengths and weaknesses of both. I appreciate Reason because of the ability to really create unique custom sounds and saving those presets quickly. The Motif offers a great synthesis engine, but its kind of tricky to manage files and preset sounds. You find yourself managing storage space versus just creating a present and saving it quickly in Reason.

I love the tactile experience of using the Motif. My hands are at home on the control surface and the sequencer is amazing! Reason on the other hand requires a lot of mouse movements, but the arranger and sequencer are top notch as well and you have to love the ability to edit your notes in a piano roll versus the Motif's text based editor.

I've actually taken my set-up one step further and introduced the Native Instruments Maschine! That being said, I spit hot fire!!! LOL

I say you can't go wrong with either, but having both really gives you a diverse sound set to work from. Combine that with the combinator and the ability to create unique sounds and you'll never be bored!

Just my two cents!

if your a keyboardist...get the motif...if you want to produce with unlimited capabilities and sound manipulations go with reasons....and the like guy said if you can ..get both

I have a love/hate relationship with my motif 6. When I'm really in the mood to create and can give a good perfomance, it sounds awesome. When I'm just not into it, I think it sounds like shit. I think thats kind of because it doesnt really have the shine on it that the fantoms/tritons have, where you could just press one note and it still "sounds" good. The motif, you have to play it good, and then it will sound great. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the later Motif models XS, XF, or the $1000
Entry level one...they have great sounds out of the gate. They come with a version of cubase so you can use both together, you would just rewire Reason or use a different DAW as the host if you already own one. I had a Motif Es and reason. the motif had superior acoustic sounds while reason had some awesome sound design potential.

Save money and just get a nice midi controller with weighted keys.

I've always been a fan of the Motif's pianos and strings but the workflow has never really been to my taste whereas Reason seems like it fits my creative process almost perfectly.

i use reason 5 and i have to new motif refill for it so im good. ill go with the refill and reason

I've got a Fantom X. It has a sampler, a sequencer, some nice sounds, & an 88 key piano action.

I hate editing in the sequencer. I hate sampling with it. I hate trying to manage my samples. I love all the sounds available. I love recording in the sequencer, I love that when it starts my basic template is there, with sounds and everything. I love autochop, assign to pads, I love skip back sampling. I love getting into the zone & making music.

I don't have Reason, but I've been using various DAWs for years..... mainly Sonar & Pro Tools. I hate "browsing through patches" I hate having to start up the DAW, & loading my template. I hate having to arm individual tracks. I hate chopping samples & assigning them to an instrument. I love the practically unlimited storage capacity. I love the way audio & midi are integrated. I love the plethora of effects, instruments, & sounds. I love the speed & power in which it handles audio The Fantom's 8 audio tracks are worthless for serious audio work. I'm primarily a guitar player, so I primarily work with audio.

If I were lookikng right now, I'd be looking for a keyboard with just sounds. Maybe the Juno-G, or the Vsynth (when they were making it). Heck there is a nice DX7 II on ebay for like $290, or an old Roland XP-50 or 80. I know it's got a sequencer, but they're pretty cheap now. & I would probably use the sequencer.

The sounds on the Fantom are nice... same goes for the Motif... but not nearly as nice as the VST instruments that are out nowadays. I'd use the sounds on the board to work out ideas & stuff, but when it comes to producing & recording I'd find other sounds.

So in summary, save your money & get an old synth you can use as a midi controller. If you're into the bread & butter sounds, look for an old Roland JV type synth, the XPs. or an old Motif. If you're into synth sounds, get a DX7, VSynth, Juno, SH, or something like that.

But keep the computer rig going.

I think its safe to add that Roland sounds are a taste thing. I had an XP 30 some years ago. Its an XV 80 minus the sequencer and to be honest the sounds in Reason sound better to me plus its more expandable than the roland is. Most of Thunderkyss' beefs aren't so much an issue with Reason imo. Either way grab the demo and see for yourself

Back