Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Motif vs Propellerhead Reason (hip hop production)

Thanks

Yamaha Motif vs Propellerhead Reason (hip hop production)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi All,

I'm new to producing beats. I have a reason set up, and I was thinking of getting a yamaha motif. I have played with the Motif at the store and I like some of the sounds. But I'm wondering if you all think it is a good addition, or a waste. I have searched for reason refills that have the Motif sounds, but I haven't been successful.

I know a lot of pro producers use the Motif (or so I have read/heard). I'm just wondering if anyone can say whether the sounds of the Motif can be reproduced with reason, or if it is necessary to have the real McCoy. Also, I am just considering getting the rack-mount sound module, as I have a pretty good keyboard midi controller.

Thanks
    Motif has some of the best pianos IMO, but Reason has a nice stock piano in the Combinator called Five Meter Grand Piano. Kontakt even has a patch that emulates the Motif 7 which is what i use and it's REALLY close to the board, my boy has the Motif 6 and I can't get off it when I see it. If you have a chance to get a Motif go for it....I would.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback my dude. Yeah, I have played with it at the stores and I love the sounds. I have searched for refills, but all the comments I have read about motif refills is that they are garbage... I'm thinking about getting the motif rack-mount cuz its wayyyy cheaper than the full keyboard. And I think its the same sounds.

Thanks
    All good folks....95% of my music has the Motif sounds from Kontakt in it, hope to hear some stuff you come up with when you get it.

Thanks
    I own both...Reason is cool but motif wins hands down....vst and computer bases synths are cool and all,but your alwaayysss gonna go back to the motif from time to time...Alot of pros actually do use the motif once you become familiar with the patches you will recognize alot of sounds in comercial music from 2000s and up

Thanks
    Motifs are dope. I'd say grab one if you plan on doing totally organic music. Reason is a lot more diverse than it I am sure though. I've made beats on motifs before but never owned one. part of me wants one and part of me doesnt care

Thanks
    You can't go to wrong it's an excellent overall piano.

Thanks
    Reason has more Expansion and Sound Diversity!
    Mixtape Mastering, Hip Hop Mastering, CD Mastering, Audio Mastering, Songwriting, Hooks, Record Label. http://www.trackwriterzlabelgroup.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by essedbl View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new to producing beats. I have a reason set up, and I was thinking of getting a yamaha motif. I have played with the Motif at the store and I like some of the sounds. But I'm wondering if you all think it is a good addition, or a waste. I have searched for reason refills that have the Motif sounds, but I haven't been successful.

I know a lot of pro producers use the Motif (or so I have read/heard). I'm just wondering if anyone can say whether the sounds of the Motif can be reproduced with reason, or if it is necessary to have the real McCoy. Also, I am just considering getting the rack-mount sound module, as I have a pretty good keyboard midi controller.
    I own the Motif XS and Reason and I must say, you can't go wrong either way. What it comes down to is knowing the strengths and weaknesses of both. I appreciate Reason because of the ability to really create unique custom sounds and saving those presets quickly. The Motif offers a great synthesis engine, but its kind of tricky to manage files and preset sounds. You find yourself managing storage space versus just creating a present and saving it quickly in Reason.

I love the tactile experience of using the Motif. My hands are at home on the control surface and the sequencer is amazing! Reason on the other hand requires a lot of mouse movements, but the arranger and sequencer are top notch as well and you have to love the ability to edit your notes in a piano roll versus the Motif's text based editor.

I've actually taken my set-up one step further and introduced the Native Instruments Maschine! That being said, I spit hot fire!!! LOL

I say you can't go wrong with either, but having both really gives you a diverse sound set to work from. Combine that with the combinator and the ability to create unique sounds and you'll never be bored!

Just my two cents!

Thanks
    if your a keyboardist...get the motif...if you want to produce with unlimited capabilities and sound manipulations go with reasons....and the like guy said if you can ..get both

Thread Information