Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha Motif vs Propellerhead Reason (hip hop production)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have a love/hate relationship with my motif 6. When I'm really in the mood to create and can give a good perfomance, it sounds awesome. When I'm just not into it, I think it sounds like shit. I think thats kind of because it doesnt really have the shine on it that the fantoms/tritons have, where you could just press one note and it still "sounds" good. The motif, you have to play it good, and then it will sound great. IMO
    Last edited by k81; 07-29-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks
    Get the later Motif models XS, XF, or the $1000
    Entry level one...they have great sounds out of the gate. They come with a version of cubase so you can use both together, you would just rewire Reason or use a different DAW as the host if you already own one. I had a Motif Es and reason. the motif had superior acoustic sounds while reason had some awesome sound design potential.

Thanks
    Save money and just get a nice midi controller with weighted keys.
    [CENTER][URL="https://www.jespana.com"]Artists Learn how to market your music
    [/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="https://BeatsByYou.com"] buy beats online[/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Thanks
    I've always been a fan of the Motif's pianos and strings but the workflow has never really been to my taste whereas Reason seems like it fits my creative process almost perfectly.

Thanks
    i use reason 5 and i have to new motif refill for it so im good. ill go with the refill and reason

Thanks
    I've got a Fantom X. It has a sampler, a sequencer, some nice sounds, & an 88 key piano action.

I hate editing in the sequencer. I hate sampling with it. I hate trying to manage my samples. I love all the sounds available. I love recording in the sequencer, I love that when it starts my basic template is there, with sounds and everything. I love autochop, assign to pads, I love skip back sampling. I love getting into the zone & making music.

I don't have Reason, but I've been using various DAWs for years..... mainly Sonar & Pro Tools. I hate "browsing through patches" I hate having to start up the DAW, & loading my template. I hate having to arm individual tracks. I hate chopping samples & assigning them to an instrument. I love the practically unlimited storage capacity. I love the way audio & midi are integrated. I love the plethora of effects, instruments, & sounds. I love the speed & power in which it handles audio The Fantom's 8 audio tracks are worthless for serious audio work. I'm primarily a guitar player, so I primarily work with audio.

If I were lookikng right now, I'd be looking for a keyboard with just sounds. Maybe the Juno-G, or the Vsynth (when they were making it). Heck there is a nice DX7 II on ebay for like $290, or an old Roland XP-50 or 80. I know it's got a sequencer, but they're pretty cheap now. & I would probably use the sequencer.

The sounds on the Fantom are nice... same goes for the Motif... but not nearly as nice as the VST instruments that are out nowadays. I'd use the sounds on the board to work out ideas & stuff, but when it comes to producing & recording I'd find other sounds.

So in summary, save your money & get an old synth you can use as a midi controller. If you're into the bread & butter sounds, look for an old Roland JV type synth, the XPs. or an old Motif. If you're into synth sounds, get a DX7, VSynth, Juno, SH, or something like that.

But keep the computer rig going.

Thanks
    I think its safe to add that Roland sounds are a taste thing. I had an XP 30 some years ago. Its an XV 80 minus the sequencer and to be honest the sounds in Reason sound better to me plus its more expandable than the roland is. Most of Thunderkyss' beefs aren't so much an issue with Reason imo. Either way grab the demo and see for yourself

Thread Information