What Should I Do for Reducing Peak ??

Michaeljones

The track has a part which is around -6db peak (other parts are around -8db) and when I put a limiter , only this part goes quiet or distort. What should I do? compressor? limiter?

This part has a synth and it's the highest note of that area.

Thanks in advance

If you recorded live instruments your at the mercy of adjusting your compressor accurately to reduce the sound. If you used drum samples, loops, etc... you should be able to go back into the program the track was made in and lower the volume there as a start. Then apply your compressors as needed to reduce the peaking sounds.

When your sounds are too 'hot' your limited on how you can work with them. And lower volumes can be made louder usually without too much trouble.

what KnowNo1 said and I add, try to see if that synth when plying, does not have other sounds with similar frequencies, in wich case, you should reduce the frequencies and volume to the sounds that are in background, and let the synth you need be revealed

....also try muting the suspected track and see if the clipping occurs on the master output meters. Put a loop on the area where the clip occurs and gradually adjust your compressor. Try adding a keyboard shortcut to clear the meter peak (the red) and adjust the compressor a bit then clear and play to find the correct adjustment spot. It can be tedious but you should find the sweet spot after some time. And make sure you are adjusting your compressor properly....adjusting the wrong value will result in no change.

Best,

Back