Technics 1200 modifications

JUKE179r

Expert Crate Digger
I started months ago just cleaning the tarnished platter then added blue LED's then removed the grounding cable:
l.jpg

For the past month I've worked on the power cord mod. I removed the stock 2 wire power cord and added a 3-prong AC socket to fit a 3-prong computer power cable:
l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

Power cord sits flush in AC plug socket:
l.jpg

I finally soldered it the power wires, buttoned it up and did an ops check of it this past weekend:

Last edited:
What's that at the end where you stop it like that? I always thought it would be simple to have a pause feature on a turntable but I've never seen it before. I'm not sure why you would want LED lights or a different power cord though, it just seems like a waste of time.

What's that at the end where you stop it like that?
He's just pushing the start/stop button that starts and stops the platter.
And having a detachable power cord can be handy..

@JUKE179yr Have you considered a tone-arm mod?
Would be nice to have an extra 1200, I'd love to try modding it to a more high-end hifi table.

I'm not sure why you would want LED lights or a different power cord though, it just seems like a waste of time.

I'm a mechanic and electrician. I like modding my gear even though most people wouldn't even know how to do. It makes my gear stand out from the rest.

@JUKE179r Have you considered a tone-arm mod?
Would be nice to have an extra 1200, I'd love to try modding it to a more high-end hifi table.

There are people on YouTube have modded their 1200's with a straight tone arm which looks nice but I prefer to keep my stock s-tone arm.

Good eye! lol
I took the pictures before I soldered the the live, neutral and ground wires to the AC socket. I have the socket's ground wired to the metal turntable frame. It didn't need a ground but I added it anyway.

---------- Post added 07-27-2012 at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was 06-22-2012 at 10:28 PM ----------

-EDIT-

I had to remove the ground wire due to a very bad contiounus ground hum noise. The wire was removed and now sounds excellent!

Last edited:
Back