Wich Sound Module?

6tyle

Wassup everybody,
i started making beats a couple months ago i got myself an m-audio axiom 49 and an akai mpd 24, reason 3.0, ... Recently i wanted to go to the next level and just ordered an mpc2500, it's gonna be here in one month (insh'allah), so now i'm thinking about getting a sound module, cuz the sounds that i get on reason don't really all i get is that electronic crappy ****, after hours of research on the internet reading thousands of threads watching hundreds of youtube videos, i noticed most of the people who own an mpc coupled with a motif or a fantom use the mpc to record and sequence, and only use their keyboards as sound modules,
so even though i'm really tempted to get myself a beautiful MOtif XS6 or a Fantom X6, i think that i would be more reasonable for me to buy a module at least for now...
Now the question is knowing
-that the type beats that i like to do is more like PRIMO/peteRock/ style
-that the motif es rack costs 1080usd
-that fantom xr costs 1200usd
-and that where i am internet is my only resource ,theres no shops, no people i know who own these kind of equipment, so NO chance to try before it before i buy...

WICH SHOULD I GET??

P.S. thanx for reading to the end...

Primo and Pete Rock are samplers. You said you getting the mpc2500, so your str8 on that tip. The fantom and motif are both good, better then the triton. Basically it's up to you, which you prefer, but since you can't try b4 you buy, your in a bit of a pickle. Both are good, look for a patch list and editing options so you can tune your own sounds, unless you want to sound like everyone else who have beat those sounds into the ground already.
LevLove

you would need an old school sound module for pete rock type style. They mainly only use sound modules for bass. So I would recommend a sound module thats good at bass (the proteus series) or and anologue synthensizer.

I dont think Primo uses any sound modules just an mpc and a hell of a lot of records. If you cant really play keyboard spending thousands on a sound module isn't ideal. If you're going for the primo sound all you really need is a turntable an mpc or any other sampler (even soft samplers which are much cheaper) and a hell of a lot of records.

thx

thx everybody for replying...you're helping me a lot...

As Danzink said the most important for me is the bass, i want the module to have really good "hip hop/classic" bass sound, other than that i'd love some good strings, rhodes, leads, cuz i like to add some composition to the sample to make it more personal....

to let you guyz know what kind of music I'm tryin' to do, here's a beat that i'm currently working on, you can check it out and give me some advice... The first 8 bars it's just the sample+some drums, and then I started some layers strings/lead....

if you want good bass go with triology that **** has classic bass. Dr. Dre actually uses it as his bass in many of his songs, (Dosen't mean that everyone should get it just cuz he uses it.) but it actually is dope you gotta check it out.

Recommend the emu proteus 2000. Cheap only for about $100 -$180. has stings, pianos, guitars, leads, bass... (complemented expecially for its bass). Used by too many famous producers to mention... Check around on ebay for it... (wouldnt recommend a motif for the sound you are going for)

there are some great reason refills that will give u some good bass sounds that will fit that style. Id try those before spending a ton of money. Bass Legends and Tripple bass come to mind. Bass Legends being the better of the 2. Also try bass trilogy. its a vst but i hear a lot of good things about it

Also, look for BASSstard lite free refill, good bass for all diff modules. Don't sleep on the subtractor when lookin for bass, thats a great monosynth when used right. Shoot, even the initialized patch will yeild some good bass when played a few octives down.

I second the P2k, but I would add the Mo'Phatt ROM. It has more and better bass patches than the P2K, but the P2k outshines in every other catagory. Another good module is JV1080 from Roland, it costs a little more than the P2K, but it's a classic one as well. I would also look into the Novation modules as well.

Cheap modules...

I would agree with Danzink and say the Proteus 2000 is a great choice. You can also throw in there an EMU Planet Phatt / Mo Phatt

Roland JV-1080 would be sweet too, I see one BIN for $249 and another currently $140 with 5hrs left...

For more of a Analog or VA synth feel: Novation Basstation, Oberheim Matrix 6R/1000, Korg MS2000R, Nord Lead 1 (we're getting up the range of $300-450 here)

Cheap FM which I still prefer over NI FM7/8, Yamaha TX81Z or TX802 rack (which I'm currently shopping for myself..w00t!)

I think our point is, there are TONS of choices, maybe you'd be interested in a tabletop module too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back