What's Comparable to the Roland V Synth?

monogee

Is there another keyboard out there that is comparable to the Roland V Synth with the Variphrase Technology? Thanks

mmm lemme think....NO there is nothing out there that compares.

IMO.

Thanks 187. Just wanted to make sure. Do you have any opinions about the Roland V-Synth? Thanks

Last edited:
lol,My opinion on the V Synth isnn't really justified since I do not own it but I have had some time with it and fell in love and I didn't even get 2 unlock a tiny fraction of the power.Basicly it is a very powerful synthisizer/Sampler hybrid.You can get the craziest bass I have ever heard out of that thing and amazing "vocal modeling" it comes with a few presets of this vocal modeling but there is an expansion board tailored to vocals it looks awsome.It gives you the ability 2 create intricite choirs ,male,female,and im sure some wacked out voices too.Anyway thats really appealling to me.and then there's the sampling or probably more of "resampling" take a sample and add effects and basicly synthisize the sample not to mention timestretch in real time so you can load up a normal drum loop at 80 bpm apply effects to it synthisize it (resample) then stretch it to the desired tempo.Creating a new funky rhythm. I dunno there's just so many possibilities with the V-Synth.It is just as a powerfull sampler as it is a powerfull synthisizer.Im seriously in love and I want one bad.Oh and to state the obvious it has a touch screen not only does it respond to pressing it also responds to dragging motions ie faders and such.and then there's the warp pad which is crazy you can "fast forward",reverse,pause,and isolate frequencies within a patch so say you just want to hear the bass in a givin patch just touch the lower left section of the pad and hold...I don't think the rack would be as fun and easy to work with imo.

craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap next time im at the music store and its there im on it lol

Kurzweil K2661 etc. are something different but comparable with V-synth, in that it can modulate PCM samples in various wierd ways....

Similar to the V-Synth????...

I dream to having one of these before Christmas.

I`m selling my Yamaha SY99 and Yamaha Motif

Roland JD 800
JD800.jpg

roland JP8000
rolandjp8000.jpg

why get a rackmount of the V??? It's about twice the price and its missing all the cool performance controls like the time trip pad and d-beams.... not to mention a set of aftertouch and velocity sensitive keys... bah... your money... the only thing you are getting out of the rackmount that the keyboard version doesn't have is a colour screen... i'd rather save a grand by getting the keyboard version and have dough leftover for some more gear like a an old virus B or something to compliment it... the variphrase technology has all the hardware sampler companys squirming to make some new gimmiks come out of there sleeves to try and match them... get it, you won't be sorry, I promise you!!!!!!!!!

^^^It does have the time trip pad but it's not half as good a the real deal.

When I first saw the rack I figured it was missing the pad which was one of its main features on the keys. But as said above, the time trip can be done on the touch screen. I wonder how it does compare to the original. Has anyone tried them both that is familiar? They actually have this long demo on Rolands site showing tons of patches being briefly performed, the guy has the rack and the keyboard, yet he does time trip for all the patches right on the rack. Seems to work well, but I don't know from experience.

Doesn't have the d-beam, but that is kind of ghey sometimes. Everytime I see someone on their groovebox use it, I can't help but chuckle. Keys are nice if you dont already have a ton of keyboards taking up tons of space (I have enough). I don't think its quite twice the price of the rack unless you are considering a used keys vs new rack. I perfer buying things used for cheaper, but the rack will be there eventually. Its not only the color screen that the rack has, but also assignable knobs and the 2 V-cards built in. You can get those on the keys, but it would cost quite a bit more making the price gap smaller. Have to figure in thats part of the reason the rack costs more.

skillz said:
Jd 800 ? what the hell is that, ive never even heard of one?

:bigeyes:

The JD 800 is one of the coolest Roland synths ever.

It has been used a lot by great musicians (like Martin Gore) since it was released.

Is one of the most creative digital synths ever. It´s totally digital, but it behaves like a analog one.

McSmooth said:
When I first saw the rack I figured it was missing the pad which was one of its main features on the keys. But as said above, the time trip can be done on the touch screen. I wonder how it does compare to the original. Has anyone tried them both that is familiar? They actually have this long demo on Rolands site showing tons of patches being briefly performed, the guy has the rack and the keyboard, yet he does time trip for all the patches right on the rack. Seems to work well, but I don't know from experience.

Doesn't have the d-beam, but that is kind of ghey sometimes. Everytime I see someone on their groovebox use it, I can't help but chuckle. Keys are nice if you dont already have a ton of keyboards taking up tons of space (I have enough). I don't think its quite twice the price of the rack unless you are considering a used keys vs new rack. I perfer buying things used for cheaper, but the rack will be there eventually. Its not only the color screen that the rack has, but also assignable knobs and the 2 V-cards built in. You can get those on the keys, but it would cost quite a bit more making the price gap smaller. Have to figure in thats part of the reason the rack costs more.
I hear you about not having room for another board... I got my V-synth for an even 900 bucks... that beats 2500 anyday, worth taking up room at that... actually, worth getting rid of a piece of gear to make room for. Really, the board is that good. Just get one whether you get a rack or a board. You'll love it. I tried the time trip on the touch screen and I didn't like it at all, just not as responsive (imho)... Yeah its funny to watch people play the d-beam... but only as funny as watching someone play the therimen though... I like both, but it really makes me laugh too sometimes...

Back