What is your favorite synth of all time?

I'd say the CS80. One of the most expressive instruments i've ever played.

Close Second - M5 or the Korg MS20. the M5 sounds very arp, and is so nice to work on.

The MS20 can be counter-intuitive, but that filter. . .

ohhhh that filter . . . .

Damn ... can't narrow it down to just one. Here are some things that are all very special to me in one way or another, however:

Univox MiniKorg This was a very weird little synth that had a very cool nasal sound.

MiniMoog Yep, I know everybody mentions this, but it still stands. It was capable of doing so many more things than it looked like. It was also the first "real" sysnthesizer I owned.

Sequential Prophet 5 Curtis filter chip ... nothing like it. I have a the Pro53 VST, and it's very good, but it's still not the same thing.

Arp Quadra Classic Arp string machine + bass synth + lead synth + the best phase shifter ever invented.

Yamaha CS80 The ribbon controller was the coolest things ever. Polyphonic touch sensitivity! It screams, it whispers, it sings!

Last edited by a moderator:
dansgold said:
Univox MiniKorg This was a very weird little synth that had a very cool nasal sound.

What's Univox? Is it a brand name of the older company?

I myself like -
KAWAI K1m Easy to edit, yet has deep possibilities with the fat additive engine.

I can only judge the ones I own but I couldnt even narrow down the ranking becuase they are so different:

- MiniMoog
- Waldorf Q
-JP-8080

Just got the 8080 a few weeks ago but this machine amazes me.......

there is no way I can pick just one!! lol

Synth I have actually played:
- Alesis Andromeda
- DSI PolyEvolver
- Nord Lead 3
- Virus C

Synth I would die for:
- Roland Jupiter8
- Yamaha CS80
- SC Prophet 5
- Oberheim Matrix 12
- Minimoog Voyager

Sealed said:
What's Univox? Is it a brand name of the older company?
I don't know the exact history, but it goes something like:
Univox was a U.S. marketing company that sold the Korg model 700 as the "MiniKorg", trying to make it sound like it was the same kind of thing as a MiniMoog ... which it wasn't by a longshot.

That question is almost killing my synthesized brains. :biges:
I can't tell one; I love a lot of synths... Especially vintage analog synths...

all of them are beatiful.

You have one of the most beatiful synths of all times>

ELKA SYNTHEX...

Mangomixx369 said:
Roland V-synth

Definitly one of the most amazing synths I've played. It kicks my JP8080:o , and the user interface is great.

Definitly the best Roland product of the last years (the rest is crap)

If I could have any synths, they would be:

huge Moog Modular
huge Serge Modular
EMS Synthi-100
ARP 2500
huge Buchla System 200
huge Polyfusion modular
SCI Prophet-10
Yamaha CS-80

I like modular synths!

Korg M1
Roland D50
Korg Wavestation
Yamaha CS1x
Korg 01Wfd
Alesis QS6
Roland JP8000
Korg Karma
Yamaha MO6
Roland Fantom X7
Korg Triton Le
Alesis Micron
Korg microKorg
Korg Prophecy

These are just my favorite, that I own. My wish list is too long for this forum.

Roland JP 8000

I love the super saw thing. I am getting a V-Synth in about five days, and I believe that I will be able to evoke the same kind of sound (with a way-cooler effect section and 16-way multi operation, no less). But the original JP keyboard -- NOT even the 8080 -- is still my favorite synth ever.

Sorry if it seems a bit capricious. I know that I'm supposed to say "Arp or Moog or Oberheim," but I prefer digital synths. Sorry!

:)

Oh, and actually -- I just remembered my OTHER favorite -- the Korg Z1. What an incredible synth. If you can actually program the thing, you can probably make money as a sound designer. That synth is unreal. Literally...

Last edited by a moderator:
SammyJames said:
I love the super saw thing. I am getting a V-Synth in about five days, and I believe that I will be able to evoke the same kind of sound (with a way-cooler effect section and 16-way multi operation, no less). But the original JP keyboard -- NOT even the 8080 -- is still my favorite synth ever.

Sorry if it seems a bit capricious. I know that I'm supposed to say "Arp or Moog or Oberheim," but I prefer digital synths. Sorry!

Oh, and actually -- I just remembered my OTHER favorite -- the Korg Z1. What an incredible synth. If you can actually program the thing, you can probably make money as a sound designer. That synth is unreal. Literally...

But the JP8080 is the same as the JP keyboard, but with 2 notes more of polyphony and the voice transformer effect!

The V Synth definitly improves a lot the JP series. I will like to get one, but they still too expensive for my budget

Juno-60!

That’s an affordable synthesizer with a BIG sound! The powerful bass and acid analog sound beats the hell out of any modern high-tech VA!

Poly Evolver Keyboard

and of course ELKA SYNTHEX, but i havent played one yet...

balma said:
But the JP8080 is the same as the JP keyboard, but with 2 notes more of polyphony and the voice transformer effect!

I think he meant the JUPITER 8 :)

Last edited:
Back