What is a "pad"?

M

menergy

I've heard folks refer to "pads" in the context of synth presets. What is a pad?

A pad is refered to as a string type sound but a synth version. I use warm pads/Sweep pads sounds that sound deep and low. Im sure theres more to the word pad but thats the way it is to me.

Yeah, that's about it. Pads are those lush sounds that 'pad out' the backing - you often get string or choral pads. As opposed to leads or bass sounds, I suppose.

KasioRoks

Last edited by a moderator:
damn kasiorocks! you show up everywhere givin good tech advice....well good advice not just tech. you damn audio crackhead! just messing. but yeah kasio had it right in sayin a pad is the oppostite of a lead sound. think of an orchestra right? a good term would be what the French horn section always does. its like a muffled sound but definitely adds texture to sound. a beter description is while you got melody lines frantically flying around and basslines fartin and booming left n right ( hopefully not panning left-right), you got this lush (ussually with a slow attack and long release for its envelope) thats just these in the background claming things and adding chordal texture. make sense? if you listen to trance, most pads are used in the breakdowns where the beat, drums and sometimes bass drop out for four bars and you got like a choir pattern played by some synth ( or maybe a choir sometimes). pads are more like a slow string section. go to a music shop and check out the most expensive keyboards. ussually there are patches in there that have the word pad in there. learn an exact version there. later

or maybe a pad is actually the little trigger squares in the mpc models and most drum sampler modules. but i doubt this is what you meant.

Dj Meteor said:
damn kasiorocks! you show up everywhere givin good tech advice...
That's 'cos I hate my job, love music and have a fat pipe connection at work :D

KasioRoks

LOL

exactly the same here, but keep care, not that ya get fired like me caused by your love to music:D ..anyways i dont care, cause i have this fat pipe connection@home,2 and can start making music 24/7 :) ...
hehe
grtx

Back