what do you think is the best synthesizer on the market right now?

Both are great boards, but neither are synths. I'd say the moog little fatty. Price, features and sound quality make it a great synth in my opinion. Plus it comes with 100 presets and has room for 100 user presets. The SH201 is a great synth, but no presets and no way to save presets. The V-synthGT is good too, not as basic as the other too but it does alot of stuff in the way of sound generation and tweakin. So v-synthGT and little fatty are my picks.
LevLove

Last edited:
On the market is the tough part....Moog LP is hard to beat...VAs count? A tier below the LP would be the MicroKorg and Micron. Or the same deal of an Alesis ION or MS2000 (used).

But once you go used.....
I'm liking the Dave Smith Prophet 08.
-Something that could make me stand out.
-Something I could dive into.

But when I think like that, I see a unit from Studio Electronics.

Pads...moving pads are so close to textures or sequences that I see them made by a generic and kind of boring synth pad layered by a software pad (or atmosphere or soundscape) that's very interesting but light on sonic density. Absynth and Korg Legacy come to mind off the head. And for hardware the DSI Poly-Evolver

THIS.

andromeda.jpg

THREAD CLOSED!

Swish1989 said:
the niko tse or the fantom g

durrr.jpg

Last edited:
^I agree with array

If it were just basses and leads I might say a Moog Voyager, but since pads and other synth sounds are on the list, I'd have to go Andromeda.

Is the producer going to learn how to program it or go as far as they can with the included presets and available patches on the net?

Pick a sound and tweak away?

And without starting a war- anyone that suggestes the Open labs joints, even the Timbo edition must not have used one. Maybe their boy has...or maybe they read a whole bunch of threads on here.

I'm not even sure, dudes have looked at the hardwrae/software specs or more importantly the actual soundset you'd be getting.

Anybody who is in awe of that list MUST be the same cat who runs out and buys Motif/Fantom/Triton refills.

Don't get it twisted, I respect that direction, BUT don't bring that level of work tool to the table in relation to a Prophet 08, Moog voyager/ LP and really any actual synth.

That soundset is in competition with Dimension Pro, SampleMoog and such. And for that kind of money I could buy them ALL separately and still have cash to spare...

Virus TI

Anyone feel like they can make an original beat? If so, I'm down to battle. No Samples. Don't matter what DAW you use. Has to be a club joint. I would love to battle j.troop but I'll wait my turn. I'm sure there's an iPhone line of people waiting for that opp. Let me know what's good on who's in

Virus TI is a good one.
Most feel their synths are a tad expensive.

"You're paying analog prices for virtual analog modeling."

I think the TI Snow is dope, but it's $1,500 USD. No keyboard and very little knobbage on the surface.

i have a virus C do u think it would really be worth upgrading my C to a TI, i have talked to please who perfer the C over the TI.

not trying to get off subject.

also i started this thread to try to decide what to buy next, to be honest i am thinking either a prophet08 rack or voyager rack.

It's common knowledge Array loves his A6, but I don't think he's actually test-piloted a TI variant.

It has become my opinion that the qualities inherent in 'analog' that we tend to praise don't lend themselves to pads. For instance, I've owned many analog polysynths (Junos 60,106, Alpha 1 and now the Prophet08) but but found them too thick and not nearly as complex as the pads I could coax from a vst like Reaktor.

As for basses, the TI will knock your socks off. It doesn't do tb-303 acid and it might not be as filthy as, let's say, my Roland sh2. It does its own thing which most analog monosynths are too simplistic to approach.

This is in addition to onboard EFX that are very competent, a pretty good vocoder, the new glitch Atomizer and a slick vst integration (TI Control).

So it stands: if you want to know which essential piece of kit you are buying next, it is the Access TI.

^^^
"It has become my opinion that the qualities inherent in 'analog' that we tend to praise don't lend themselves to pads. For instance, I've owned many analog polysynths (Junos 60,106, Alpha 1 and now the Prophet08) but but found them too thick and not nearly as complex as the pads I could coax from a vst like Reaktor."

Hey I get to quote myself....

"Pads...moving pads are so close to textures or sequences that I see them made by a generic and kind of boring synth pad layered by a software pad (or atmosphere or soundscape) that's very interesting but light on sonic density. Absynth and Korg Legacy come to mind off the head. "

TI is a good choice, but I've failed every blind test on what synth in their line up makes what sound. The Moog ones...I may get the synth wrong, but I do hear a difference between machines.

Anyway, why is the Polar praised so highly compared to the TI?

No I mean why that configuration and NOT THE flagship KEYBOARD?

I'm just asking why you thought the Polar was the one to get.
Bang for the buck?
Some feature that most are looking past?

OH! Got you.

I got the Desktop because I already have the Prophet08 as my master keyboard, and because I got an "open box special" from NovaMusik and couldn't beat the price.

If I could go back and do it again, I might actually get the TI keyboard and forget the P08.

Really???? Shocking. What didn't you like about the Prophet 08. It's on my wish list...please go as deep as you like into detail- subjective thoughts appreciated....

Oh, it's nothing against the Prophet08. When I first got the P08 it was the most important thing in my arsenal. It's just a testament to HOW MUCH the TI can do.

I would recommend the P08 rack module to people, especially if they don't have any analog in their current set up. My favorite thing to do with it is program the layered patches using the 4 LFO's per patch to muck with stereo panning. Have you ever applied an LFO to an LFO? That's an interesting effect, too...I consider my P08 to be the EFX/background pads of my tracks.

My current experiments have me layering the TI with the FR XS or sh2. I've found this combination hard to beat: you get the thin, complex upper end of a pad with the growly, dirty nastiness of an analog bassline monosynth. Again, the P08 falls somewhere in between (I don't particularly like the P08 on bass, and it is consistently outperformed for strings by the TI).

Had occasion to play with a Triton for a few weeks, and I wasn't over-enamoured with it. Korg stuff has always sounded brittle to my ears. I didn't have much chance to get into the guts of it to see what I could get out of it, but it sounded really glassy.

Back