What is the best TB-303 CLONE? Help!

A

arjanv

Hi,

Does anyone know a good TB-303 alternative? Because the roland TB-303 is to expensive for me.

And a other question: Which drum coputer a goodone for making all sort of trance music?

maybe you can help me which i sould buy?

I allready own a SNIIPROX

Thanks for reading and i hope you come up with some good answers.

Greets, Arjan

I own rebirth (www.propellorheads.se) which seems to be a pretty good clone, you get two 303s, and 808 and 909 drum machines, which have custom soundsets downloadable off the web. I tend to not use it for whole tracks though, i just export audio loops to cubase. If you own a later version of cubase (or logic aswell i think) you can stream up to 18 channels of audio into cubase's audio mixer direct from rebirth...

Some guys i know use Reason for a lot of their stuff, check em out at www.mp3.com/fim Its not just 303s but should be an all in one trance box for around $300. Rebirth is around $120 i think. propellorheads make them both so check ut their site... good luck....

P.S. just thought - you can do a reasonable 303 clone with the SN II, i've got a nova II and have got an ok 303 out of it...

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
TB-303 alternatives:

* best (software) simulation:

Propellerhead's Rebirth 2.01

=> for a cheap price you've got 2 "real" TB303's and, not-to-forget, a "real" TR-808 and a "real" TR-909 drum machine simulation
=> download a free demo version at http://www.propellerheads.se/products/rebirth/frame.html

* hardware with sounds close to the TB:

- Roland SH-101
- Access Virus' TB sounds
- Novation Supernova II's TB-sounds; you say you own one; well, taking the TB-presets and a little knob-tweaking will give very nice results
- bad simulation: (although they consider to be a good one) the Novation BassStation

I'm not joking; I own a real Roland TB-303, Rebirth 2.01, Novation Bassstation and Novation Supernova II, and for the real typical TB-sounds I'm sure the best simulation is the Rebirth software - without any doubt !!

Peace !! :cheers:

hey, i just got a bassStation, and i think it sounds pretty good. it sounds enuff like a tb for most people, but subtly different cos of filters. Who wants an exact copy of something anyway? not me.
Sounds especially good when sequenced from technotoys seq303, squelchy acid, yum yum.
:monkey:
strigg

Future Retro 777. 303 and more cool basses. The filter rips *** too when sending things through it.

It's dirtay!

I have one and I like it.

www.future-retro.com

777_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
for a 303 sound the best hardware equivelant is the future anaolg technologies (FAT) fb383. its a 1u rack mount 303 clone, it has all the same circuits inside but no sequencer, its midi controlled. i have one of each and find there to be no difference, its that good. you miss out on the fun of the roland sequencer but if you have a tr909 you can run it as and external instrument from it.
there is a mark 2 version which has a slide switch ( the first one you had to play portamento to get a slide) which makes this the one to get.
the company had a name change though and are now called MAM ( music and more) and are german. its still called the fb383 though. you should look out for them second hand as they are pretty cheap used.
as for drum machines, the roland tr909 is still the man when it comes to drum machines. the novation drumstation is a clone of the 909 and 808 and sounds pretty close although nothing beats the real thing and again its midi controlled, no sequencer. i have all three as i aint rich enough to own doubles of the 909 and 808 so the drumstation covers fine for when i need it.
a good sampler can cover a lot of instruments in the studio though and may be worth considering, it can be a drum module, a synth, anything.
if you want 303 sounds, i would avoid trying to get a synth that can make similar sounds as one if its patches. its always a much better sound if you can get something designed specifically to do the job you want rather than making do or coming close.
good luck

Back