Waldorf MicroQ and Roland SH-201: Too much of the same?

djshawt

Dj Shaw-t
Hey guys need some help. I've been looking at the Waldorf Micro Q and Roland SH-201 and decided I was going to only get the Waldorf Micro Q. Today I tested out the Roland SH-201 and loved it. I'm wondering if I get both units will I have too much of the same thing? I mainly like the arps on the Roland and the pads on the Micro but a couple of people have been telling me the micro can do everything the Roland can so I am beginning to get sceptical thinking I may be wasting my money. I also looking at the Alesis Micron and possibly the Roland MKS as well. Let me know what you guys think the two best combinations out of these would be to give me a broad range of sounds

Last edited:
Hey guys need some help. I've been looking at the Waldorf Micro Q and Roland SH-201 and decided I was going to only get the Waldorf Micro Q. Today I tested out the Roland SH-201 and loved it. I'm wondering if I get both units will I have too much of the same thing? I mainly like the arps on the Roland and the pads on the Micro but a couple of people have been telling me the micro can do everything the Roland can so I am beginning to get sceptical thinking I may be wasting my money. I also looking at the Alesis Micron and possibly the Roland MKS as well. Let me know what you guys think the two best combinations out of these would be to give me a broad range of sounds

On paper, the MicroQ can do everything the 201 can do, and then some. In practice though, they probably sound quite different. If I were you, I'd skip the 201 though. If you want the Roland sound, go with the JP8000 or JP8080, which is the JP8000 rack. The 201 is based on the 8000 engine, but has less patch storage.

Would you suggest skipping out on it simply because of the lack of storage? I have been looking to try and find a JP8000 but its hard and is always a risk when buying something that is older. What would you suggest to compliment the MicroQ?

Would you suggest skipping out on it simply because of the lack of storage? I have been looking to try and find a JP8000 but its hard and is always a risk when buying something that is older. What would you suggest to compliment the MicroQ?

Well, the build quality of the 201 is pretty poor as well.

As far as what to compliment the MicroQ with...it depends on your budget and which direction you want to go in. The MicroQ has a very unique timbre, which sounds very polished and precise. If you want to go into a, dirtier, more digital direction, the Waldorf Microwave 2 and XT are pretty great, and can even do some very VA sounds due to their very musical filters. If you want to go more into the "analog" sounding direction, Virus B and Virus C desktops have been going for very awesome deals on ebay lately.

Back