V-synth It Is A Good Deal Vs Softwares?

ecsmix

As you guys know,roland's v-synth is discontinued and the keyboard version is selling for u$1,200, I was wondering which one is a better deal the desktop(same price used) or keyboard version?
As far as softwares for production only in studio enviroment does waht the v-synth does, is there any ground breaking stuff with it?
Is it worth the 1,200 for that hardware vs softwares?
The usb-midi will work just like a vst instrument without the vsti interface?Everything saved in a project will be saved within the project?

Thanks.

ecsmix said:
As you guys know,roland's v-synth is discontinued and the keyboard version is selling for u$1,200, I was wondering which one is a better deal the desktop(same price used) or keyboard version?
As far as softwares for production only in studio enviroment does waht the v-synth does, is there any ground breaking stuff with it?
Is it worth the 1,200 for that hardware vs softwares?
The usb-midi will work just like a vst instrument without the vsti interface?Everything saved in a project will be saved within the project?

Thanks.

You could buy a mac mini, a cheap used crt monitor, a midi keyboard, and reason for that price.

I already have a awesome daw, virus ti, kore and komplete 3 I was wondering if the v-synth could do something diferent from what I already have.

I might exchange 2 dn-s 5 k + mixer for the v-synth I dunno know...let's see...

If you really don't know what it does, how it works or how it would benifit you, I really don't see any point in spending that much on a piece of gear.

It is not designed to be a VSTi like your virus, its a stand alone hybrid synth/sampler/fx box. komplete has pretty good coverage over many aspects of synthesis, sampling and effects, so I'm not sure if it would really bring anything new to the table for you if you don't already know what that has to offer. It's main selling point is its ability to wreck havoc on samples and its ability to work with sample time, pitch and formant (veriphrase).

I didn't know they were selling for that cheap, that is a good deal. I personally would perfer the XT, but I don't know where you are finding them that cheap even used (keyboard often goes for more than that on ebay). Keyboard has keys, d-beam, more buttons and a dedicated time trip pad. Rack has the color touch screen which also doubles as the time trip pad (although people report its not as effective as the one on the keys).

But for real, there's tons of information to read up on something like that before buying. You can get the manual off Rolands site for free which will tell you everything you need to know. I read it a while back just to see what it was capable of.

I just got the V-synth last month. Given the price break, I chose it over the XT. Except for vocoding, (built in VC2 card) and hardware differences they are very similar devices. If your looking for a synth that you can dive into and program your own sounds & effects, this is the device. If your looking for something that you can turn on a get continued satifaction from, move on. The V-synth technology is very powerful and can do things other keyboards cant, but you'll have to spend a lot of time.

I've started to look at equipment in two ways;

1. How many songs will it inspire
2. How much of my time will it require

Here's how I precieve some of my most recent keys.

Keyboard songs Time
Fantom X endless average
Karma lots little to lots (every preset is a song)
MO6 lots average
X Synth few lots
Triton many below average

I think I am trying to say that the V-synth is not an work hourse, but a specialize device that is useful for lead sound, & special effects. The arp is not very useful.

I glad I bought the device, it provide a good mix with the othe equipment, would not be my first choice of keyboards, unless maybe I was doing heavy experimental electronic music.

It would definitely do something different that your current setup.

Good luck.

If you got the cash, buy it. then get more money and buy more equipment. Never sell anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys...I just bought the xt and I am into electronic music but the vocoder card it's not working I can't get any sound out of it....
I need something diferent and it looks like the v-synth should be the thing, I was worry about the same tecnology in other softwares.

I must respectfully disagree with justproductions when he says "The arp is not very useful."

The arp on the V-Synth is very useful. It can act as a traditional arpeggiator, of course. But you can also record real-time playing into it as a mini-sequencer. You can then transpose your playing in real time. Nice when playing live: you can trigger your own playing at different pitches by hitting a single key (and playing another synth with your right hand, or guitar or an electronic trigger or...) You can also record drum sequences into the arpeggiator, then take it out of drum mode, and substitute different drums in the pattern in real-time by playing different keys on the keyboard. You can fire off whole chorus parts with a single key and hold it with the pedal while you do something else on your other synth.

I've used it in the studio to play vocal harmonies in realtime, as well as making curse words sound like DJ slow-down record grabs (rather than just muting the words) when making radio mixes. I've used the D beam to "scratch" a sample. I've sampled my own voice and played it like an Asian singer. Pretty hot.

Wish I could find the VC2 card (which is built into the XT) for more vocal transform goodness. Alas.

-Hoax

hey Cruel Hoax, dont be so respectful, it not that common.

I just felt the arp on the v-synth is not as powerful as on other keyboards. But, your right it is still very useful & fun. Thanks for tell us what you use the keyboard for, you have inspired me to some other uses I may have never thought of.

My vocalist/guitar playing friend just got the V-Synth XT. Got a chance to play with the vc-2 card stuff. Pretty cool!

It bumed her out that she is forced to play the keyboard to make it work. You can sing into it (XLR & Phantom on the front panel) and send a line input and get real time application for vocal harmony, vocording and effects, with usb audio streaming straight into the Mac.

For most musicians this technology may still be a little too much and require too much time to learn, but the more you play this technology, the more you realize the power available to you.

Hey ROLAND we need VC2 cards, you expect they would manufacture at least as many cards as keyboards, why have they become so hard to find and such a premium on ebay ($500).

Back