Using a Yamaha MX 61 as a MIDI controller

dksucharda

Im getting ready to get a Yamaha MX61. I am very new to using computers for music in any form and as such I am trying to minimize hardware/software conflict. I want everything to work as simple and seamlessly as possible so I can focus on the music. I have Cubase LE6 that came with my digital audio interface and am using that as my DAW. I realize the MX has MOTIF sounds already built into it as well as sampled sounds for percussion, strings, and horns, etc... But beyond that, as a MIDI controller it is my understanding that it can access VST sounds that I have on my computer. For example, Native instruments, KOMPLETE. Is this true? Is my understanding correct? Are some of you out there doing this? also any other info from those using Yamaha MX series would be appreciated since there is not a lot out there on the MX series. Mostly all motif and MOX. Thanks

Interesting you commented on that. Because that brings up another question. When I have a guitar hooked up or sing it goes through my digital audio interface on the way to the computer. My understanding was always that the sound "splits" at the digital audio interface and half goes to the computer to be recorded and half goes to studio monitors and or headphones. When I have my keyboard hooked directly to the computer I understand that the computer assigns a sound which is recorded into Cubase, but how does any sound ever get to my monitors since no sound is ever being directed to the digital audio interface. hopefully I am being clear in describing what I'm seeing in my head.

Interesting you commented on that. Because that brings up another question. When I have a guitar hooked up or sing it goes through my digital audio interface on the way to the computer. My understanding was always that the sound "splits" at the digital audio interface and half goes to the computer to be recorded and half goes to studio monitors and or headphones. When I have my keyboard hooked directly to the computer I understand that the computer assigns a sound which is recorded into Cubase, but how does any sound ever get to my monitors since no sound is ever being directed to the digital audio interface. hopefully I am being clear in describing what I'm seeing in my head.

you would have to connect the outputs of your keyboard to the inputs on your audio interface.

Back