The ULTIMATE production workstation

S

Sinfamous

I'm currently looking into investing my dollars in a Roland Fantom X6 over a Korg Triton workstation. How are the synths and drums in the Fantom and is it user freindly? Is it worth the money?

The drums on the fantom are weak,but it is user friendly,but I would get a motif es over the fantom because the sounds are better to me.

Welcome :hello:

yep second that, the motif ES looks like the one to get right now, there's no fancy touch creen or a tube in it but the specs are massive

Being that i'm in the far northern burbs in Illinois, we really don't have the resources where hardware is concerned. So I took a trip to the city (Chitown) and spent over 4 hours playing with the Motif, Fantom, and Triton Studio. I put $400 deposit down on the Yamaha Motif before I left lol. I put mydough where the beats were. Thanx again everyone for the feedback!

Listen i dont no what theses guys are talking about.I just copped a fantomx 2 weeks ago I love this machine. It is off the chain. this is coming from a person who still has the triton.The phantom is far more superior than the motif. If you are going to get the motif get the rack.

Yeah, I think you may have bought into the Yammie hype. Remember, Yamaha makes good jet ski's and sissy motorbikes, not production gear. Read the manuals...they get their sproting goods and their production gear manuals confused sometimes. The Fantom X is the best SOUNDING workstation on the market. THey really up-ed everyone with the thing. It has the most expressive new patches in any synth. The Roland synth sounds have always been the best, imo, but the 'realistic' instruments emulations are letter perfect...even over Kurzweil. This is the one...if you want a workstation....and the sequencing and the skip back sampling make it all the more over that convoluted Yammie board. And Korg just about stinks all around in general.

Trusty said:
Yeah, I think you may have bought into the Yammie hype. Remember, Yamaha makes good jet ski's and sissy motorbikes, not production gear. Read the manuals...they get their sproting goods and their production gear manuals confused sometimes. The Fantom X is the best SOUNDING workstation on the market. THey really up-ed everyone with the thing. It has the most expressive new patches in any synth. The Roland synth sounds have always been the best, imo, but the 'realistic' instruments emulations are letter perfect...even over Kurzweil. This is the one...if you want a workstation....and the sequencing and the skip back sampling make it all the more over that convoluted Yammie board. And Korg just about stinks all around in general.

The Motif ES has that new mlan board that lets you dump 16 tracks in a single run. Dose the Fantom offer any advanced tracking features.

Last edited:
I've visited the local music store in my neighborhood (which has the entire Roland Fantom Series {X6, X7, X8}) and I had a chance to play them for a few hours. I already have a Triton LE and from my opportunity of playing the Roland Fantom X, I think I'm going to upgrade. The Triton LE is awesome for its kind, but I've always been a major fan of the Roland Fantom Family. When I had the chance to play the Fantom X, I was amazed at all of its features including the unique patches, the 'almost-orignal' piano presents, the multi-sampling modes, the D-Beam, the 16-'sensitive-touch' pads, and most of all... the color LCD screen. From my Fantom X experience, I must say to all interested musicians; you never truly know until you get your hands on it yourself. Reviews and advice can help, but there is nothing like getting the full effect in action! I'm in the process of selling my Triton LE in order to make a healthy downpayment on a Roland Fantom X-60. To sum this all up, the Fantom X series is awesome and definately state-of-the-art. IF you want something that takes the place of extra music equipment and combines it into one unit, look no further... "THE FANTOM X IS HERE!!!"

I have to speak on behalf of the fantom x...

It's the best workstation to come along in awhile....bar none.

The user interface is the slickest, most user-friendly i've ever messed with on a workstation. Improved pads over the fantom S (more sensitive), all new patches, the best workstation grand piano you'll ever find, color screen, up to 1gb of sound rom when expanded (the most of any workstation), the sampling and sequence features have to be the best i've used on a keyboard workstation...definatly...theres so much.

At first, i was a little skeptical about the sounds, i was expecting nothing but the fantom S with more memory and other features, but the new accoustic sounds DWARF the original fantom/fantom S accoustics, and the Fantom X even still has all the sounds from the Fantom S to boot...along with those new sounds. Alot of these accoustic sounds are above what i've heard on the motif...sounds are all preference tho...tho i think anybody will agree their atleast parallel with some of the motif es's accoustics. The nylong guitars have alot of velocity "strums" and "plucks"...horns have falls...lotta detail in velocity switching on the accoustics.

But the one thing that kills the motif es in comparison..is the user interface on this thing...we all know how much of a headache the motif's operating system is...the fantom x's interface is extremely easy...theres not much manual reading needed...i mean...you can assign "quicklinks" to different pages of parameters/features to the 16 drum pads....how easy can you get?

But yea...after i went into the store with no intent on ordering the fantom X this soon...i left the store thinking im ordering this week.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i've gotten a little tired of my current setup, mainly an ASR10 and I'm looking at buying 1 or 2 of the new main romplers. I'll compare all three to see if I need two or if one will cover my bases. Roland's romplers don't have the best rep with some people, me included. They'll have 1000 sounds with maybe 400 usable ones and many are thin like Emu's sounds. Also they will often put out racks that don't have the same sound quality as other racks in the same "flagship" series,like the xv5050 or jv1010.
Yamaha's sounds are simply phat,I just got a cs6x and soundwise it blows away a fantom.I'll have to hear the fantom x though. Triton always boasts 48khz samples so the quality there is good too.

cop the fantom-x dawg - Now that X is out - there's pretty much no sence in gettting any other workstation. its got all the sounds that an r%b/hiphop producer would dream about - rhodes bass etc. Someone said the drums are wack - I'll admit, they could be better - But there just fine TRUST ME - Plus - what really makes things intresting is the fact that you can take a drum kit, and change parameters such as filters of each key ON THE FLY! you can even easily chop up a drum sample from anywhere and assign each drum to a key and do the same with your own samples. You can even route each key to different effects. I'm tellin you man - the fantom x is the LICK! - if you don't get it, I feel sorry for you. I got mine all upgraded to - 512/ram - 1 gig flash card - 4 in one expansion - the one with all the electric pianos - its got

Trusty said:

oh god. so before the fantom came out everything was hype and everything was wack right?

geez. you guys go to the extreme to make a point of the superiority of a product. to berate a motif and triton just to make the point of the fanto being more powerful. geez.

personally i think that the fantom x is the 50 caliber in the land of the m16 but that in no way means that the predecessors were inadequate. check the credits of some of the best out there. the fantom will now join the motif and triton as an upcoming studio mainstay but dam the motif and korg arent all hype. really. i dont get all the gear bashing. :confused:

j-traxx said:

oh god. so before the fantom came out everything was hype and everything was wack right?

geez. you guys go to the extreme to make a point of the superiority of a product. to berate a motif and triton just to make the point of the fanto being more powerful. geez.

personally i think that the fantom x is the 50 caliber in the land of the m16 but that in no way means that the predecessors were inadequate. check the credits of some of the best out there. the fantom will now join the motif and triton as an upcoming studio mainstay but dam the motif and korg arent all hype. really. i dont get all the gear bashing. :confused:

Not at all, before the fantom came out there was the mighty XP80/60. Remember, it may seem that the world is only full of rap producers, and yes, I am one of them, but there are many of us who do produce hip-hop, and producers of other genres like dance, techno, pop, etc that have never, EVER liked the korg and yamaha stuff.

the specs of the fantom-x eat everything that is out now. 1 gig of sampling time, cmon. And the sounds kill every other workstation. Each key of the piano samples alone were samples 8 times, which means no dead sounding notes in the lo mid and hi mid range.
It also has a huge selection of incredible sounds, all of which are easily edited.
Great sampling
MPC like pads
and a super easy sequencer

There is nothing better right now. Ive used everything that is out there and have found nothing better

Trusty said:

Not at all, before the fantom came out there was the mighty XP80/60. Remember, it may seem that the world is only full of rap producers, and yes, I am one of them, but there are many of us who do produce hip-hop, and producers of other genres like dance, techno, pop, etc that have never, EVER liked the korg and yamaha stuff.

i still use the xp80 as well. love it to death and i play it live at gigs but along with the xp 80 i had a korg o1w then after that a korg x3. i still love them and they have no stats on what's out now but they did well. i'm a wrkstation nut but i refuse to be a gear elitist. " oh this is the best (whatever) and everything else is wack blah blah blah fruityloops blah blah." cause if you come up into a commercial recording facility with that sh!t, the chin checks with come fast and furious. and make your face look like :(

MPC like pads? :rolleyes: ummmmmmm.........wrong Those pads are nothin like the MPC pads playa sorry!:( But overall the Triton Extreme, Fantom-X and the Motif ES6 are all GREAT workstation get the one u like best to make music wit people its called preference! :cheers: Everybody on this site can go on and on for dayz on about which workstation is that best! :D Just enjoy makin music!:cool:

I just gotta say that my workstation is absolutely the best. No other workstation can even come close! Basically all you clowns buying those other workstations are fools cause they have way less professional sounds and only cheap features. My workstation is the bomb!

Back