Trade in your Fantom X

F

Fresh of da Boat

Would anyone trade in a Fantom X for Motif Es, just wondering? wat's better on the motif ES..and vice versa

They are both great machines.

They can both do some things or have features that the other one doesn't.

I wouldn't trade my Fantom X for a Motif ES, though.

If I already had a Motif ES, I wouldn't be itching to trade it for a Fantom X, either.

dansgold said:
They are both great machines.

They can both do some things or have features that the other one doesn't.

I wouldn't trade my Fantom X for a Motif ES, though.

If I already had a Motif ES, I wouldn't be itching to trade it for a Fantom X, either.

i agree. they are both great machines with vast power if you stick with them and learn them.

agreed i wouldnt trade in either for the other although the motif es has the upper hand on drums. i use the fantom-s but i've messed around with both of em for a few weeks

I would never trade my motif es for anything, at the lease i would buy another keyboard but i feel that all these keyboards that are out today have so much to offer out the box that the time it would take to learn one real good a next generation keyboard will be out and would be better adding to my team. I will never say that the motif es is the best keyboard but the best keyboard for me. At the end of the day 75 percent of the sounds in these rompers are all the same, but every keyboard has is strenth and weaknesses in different type of sound deparments. My studio as big or as small as it is has alot in it cause i treat everything like player on a championship team. After getting my mpc 2000 xl i got a motif es and after that i got a computer with nuendo and waves plugins and motu 828mkII plus some alesis mkII monitors. My next buy wasnt to get another romper just for more of the same sounds but to get analog board to get different type of keyboard sound that you cant get from a digital sample rom keyboard. My point is, learn to build up instead of building then renocking down cause at the end of the day your at the same place you started. So i think you should keep the fantom x and invest in yourself with lessions and save up money to get something else that will help you out more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't do it. I have the mo classic 6 and the fantom x 6 along with a lot of other goodies. So I am cool on mo sounds even though they revamped the engine. Either would be a great investment( ES or X), as far as being user friendly; I would highly recommend the motif over any other board (including the triton that thing is P.O.S IMO, but some nice sounds do come out of it). The fantom is teadious, and then you have to select each track to go with each sound (what roland was thinking I don't know).

Man_Unlimited said:
The fantom is teadious, and then you have to select each track to go with each sound (what roland was thinking I don't know).

It is hardly tedious. It is the easiest workstation out there. :) As far as the selecting each track with a patch...well they kept it the way Roland always have done it to make it easy for Roland users who upgrade. This is no different than an XP-80/60/50/W-30 or any other Roland workstation I've ever seen. You always assign a part/patch to a sequencer track.

Again??????

I would trade it. I had both, and definitely I sold the Phantom X, since I had several grooveboxes and with the MC-909, I felt some redundance.

But I always prefer Yamaha's sound over Roland, when I'm hesitating.

Trusty said:

It is hardly tedious. It is the easiest workstation out there. :) As far as the selecting each track with a patch...well they kept it the way Roland always have done it to make it easy for Roland users who upgrade. This is no different than an XP-80/60/50/W-30 or any other Roland workstation I've ever seen. You always assign a part/patch to a sequencer track.

Ups, I agree with the "tedious" adjetive. So big screen for nothing. Specially the sequencer. It s*cks a big time.

IMHO, the operational system of the Roland workstations is obsolete.

A good example of an intelligent OS is EMU Command station.

You can play patterns, record notes, erase whatever, edit arppegios, edit sounds, edit tracks, go from record mode to global parameters or track messages and modify everything at the same time without stopping. The music is always pumpin'.

There is no division or so much screen navigating... and that's good for your inspiration.

LOL,

Have you owners ever used a Mo? Replace is way quicker and so are some other functions. The Mo's step sequecer is killin the fantom. I just dig the fantom for it's commercial sounds and mulit-effects which the ES has but I have the classic.

Case in point, I work with three other producers. I was showing one how to use the fantom and I forgot to tell him that you needed to select each sound and select a track for it to go to. He was like man it's not erasing I about fell out laughing. Secondly he was trying to adjust the tempo with the track armed to rec and if you own one (fantom) you know that you can't do that. I told him "man I told you just use the motif to sequence this board." Problem solved , lol. The roland's sequencer is a pain.

Man Unlimited i think u have the fantomX made in Afghanistan homie thats totally untrue if u press record u can adjust the tempo. (no disresoect just telling the truth homie.And the motiff cant handle a gig of sounds internally either, nor does it have skip back sampling.

Maybe he's talking about the original Fantom (not the S or X series).

You can certainly change the tempo on the X after you've enabled Record. Hell, you can even record tempo changes on-the-fly!

You can also use tap-tempo to sync up your sampled loops ... a big plus.

You have to buy a separate box to use tap-tempo with the Motif. :confused:

Maybe ur right dansgold i got the x i sold my mpc triton and roland 3080 to get it and i dont regret it plus i have reason 2 so its pretty much a wrap for me i dont need nothing else except the motif rack and G5 And im set

If you have both Reason and a FantomX, here's a tip:

You can create little 1 to 4 bar loops, using whatever combination of Reason device you like, add effects, etc.

Then you can export the loop as a 44.1Khz/16-bit .WAV file ... import it into the Fantom.

See where I am going here?

lol, Actually you two are right it does allow you to do so. Try as I might I couldn't get it to do that again. Must have been an O.S error or he had something on I didn't see.

I don't think I've put over six hours on my board yet. I was scrolling through the menu and guess what I found? lol, an auto track select. To access it go to menu>startup>song>auto. So it seems roland did fix there problem after all. Yes this board is nice, very nice indeed.

yeah sure buddy u just never ownwd a fantom X J?K............Hey dansgold can u send me the info on how to do the reason trick.

Back