Are there any quality all in one MIDI/Synths?

KenNakanote

Hi there everyone,
My first post here on your awesome website!
Posted below is my dream machine, but if what I want doesn't exist then the next best thing would be appreciated.

I want a 49-61 key ALL IN ONE unit. What I'm looking for is pretty much a MPK 49 or an M-audio Axiom pro 'style' unit, a combination of the Novation X-station 49 and the MPD 32.

I want assignable knobs/faders,assignable PADS with two or more banks. I guess it would be nice to be able to assign/edit controlls within the unit itself without a computer. Midi controls like play/record ect, to use with Fl Studio as well as stand alone for looping.

Also it has to have stand alone capabilities, I would like it to be able,without a computer, to have saved drum samples(uploaded from the computer) and be able to loop a beat while I play piano behind it. I guess that means it has to have flash memory, which is fine.

I want to have phantom powered XLR+1/4 inch input(for a condencer mic & guitar) I want to recored my vocals and instrument to Fl Studio through the unit's USB/Fire wire out, doesn't matter to me. Dare I ask if multi track recording is possible?

I would like quality sound, if there are no controllers with nice built in audio cards for recording vocals/real instruments than I guess I have to get an external.

Also other basic stuff like after touch, note repeat, apregiator, nice key feel. joystick/pitch modulate wheels

To sum it all up M-audio axiom 49
But with phantom power XLR&1/4 inch input, and basic stand alone capabilities.
My overall goal is to keep my recording setup simple.

Thanks and please inform me of all possible options.
Ken

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the reply,
I was trying to avoid having a workstation because of how much they cost. I figure I would just use my laptop as the medium for recording,editing ect. I just wanted SIMPLE looping on board.

Unless I missed something those Open Lab products are WAY out of my league. Rather than a total workstation computer, I just want a midi controller with a good built in sound card, and the ability to play basic piano without a computer.

I guess if theres nothing out there that suits me and my price, I just need to get a m-audio Axiom, a external fire wire audio interface, and a synth module to play without a computer, is it the only way?

Thanks again!
Ken

Last edited:
Right on Xabiton,
Ok so I have to buy a external sound card for Mic/instrument input.

I just want to have samples loaded onto the controller from my computer, I don't to have capabilities of editing and cutting tracks on the unit. Maybe assign knobs/faders on the unit but thats all.

How about a Midi controller with pads, faders and knobs, AND that can function as a basic piano/synth without any computer connection?

Thanks
Ken

Have you checked out the Novation X-Station?

It's a midi controller with plenty of sliders/knobs that has built-in synthesis and it also serves as an audio interface, complete with a phantom-powered XLR mic input.

The X-Station does NOT have pads though. You aren't going to find something *exactly* like you're talking about because it doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Have you checked out the Novation X-Station?

It's a midi controller with plenty of sliders/knobs that has built-in synthesis and it also serves as an audio interface, complete with a phantom-powered XLR mic input.

The X-Station does NOT have pads though. You aren't going to find something *exactly* like you're talking about because it doesn't exist.

Wow thats pretty cool. Is a good quality sound card:
"The Novation X-Station includes a fully featured audio interface with 2 phantom-powered, hi-quality converters, 2 Neutrik combined XLR and 1/4" inputs"

I guess I don't really need the pads, I could just assign samples on the keys I suppose.

Looks like that might be it!

Thanks guys and keep the ideas coming for me.

I used to have one and it was pretty nice. The synthesis engine isn't extremely complex but it's definitely capable of making some smooth, trademark "Novation" sounds. My main complaint about it was the sliders. They definitely feel cheap and flimsy but as long as you're not trying to crab scratch with them you should be fine... lol.

Either you go with open lab, or Korg Oasis (or simular boards) an Akai MPC 5000 or the Roland MV8800.

Aside from that there is no all in one solution to what you mentioned. All you need is a controller and a interface with audio and midi ins and outs. Simple its not as complex as your making it out to be. Take your time and understand what each piece does, and why you need it, then youll better understand what you should be shooting to purchase. The axiom pro would cover most of your issues, pads, keys, and assignable controlling. Machine could do it to to an extent but with no keys. And obviously the Big Powerhouse Workstations.

Right on Xabiton,
Ok so I have to buy a external sound card for Mic/instrument input.

I just want to have samples loaded onto the controller from my computer, I don't to have capabilities of editing and cutting tracks on the unit. Maybe assign knobs/faders on the unit but thats all.

How about a Midi controller with pads, faders and knobs, AND that can function as a basic piano/synth without any computer connection?

Thanks
Ken
so u want a midi controller that has audio inputs for sampling and then to able to chop samples from the pc with it? this might be what uwant expect its keys and not pads
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeyStudio49i.html

Another option is a CME VX6 with either the Use Audio expansion card or the Waldorf expansion card. This would run you about $1200 for the 61-key and one of the expansions, this would give you basic sounds on keyboard, and the VX6 has audio inputs as well as pads and motorized faders.

Simple looping on board doesn't come cheap because that means the board needs a its own sequencer which means you are probably buying a workstation. I did however see a midi controller just like the axiom pro that includes a built in audio interface where you can plug mics and such in it. It looks just like that yamaha motif but its made by another company i forgot the name.

Back