Is a Synthesizer and Midi Keyboard the same thing?

I Am Me

I'm confused, I want to produce/remix Electronic music(progressive house like Deadmau5/Avicii/Alesso. I want to buy a Midi Keyboard, somthing that I can use in Piano Roll on FL Studio or maybe in the Future Ableton live. I want to spend around 150-200$$ more or less. If I should save up because what I will get for that price range is crap, let me know. Also is Midi Keyboard and Synthesizer the same thing??? -Thank you for leaving comments :)

Yes and no

A synthesiser may or may not have a keyboard attached to it. If it does, the keybaord part can also act as a midi controller.

If you have a stand alone midi keyboard it won't have any sounds of its own, but will be capable of controlling other sources of sounds such as hardware synths or software synths.

So based on your budget something like the UMX-61 or similar: regardless of brand; get 61 keys you will be thankful in the long run...

Thank you so much for your post, I really appreciate it. But I'm still alittle confused if a synthesizer has no keyboard what is it used for does it do somthing different from a midi keyboard? And Also the UMX-61 is a midi keyboard and not a synthesizer right?

UMX61 is the code for the Behringer 61 key midi keyboard

A synth without a keyboard is called hardware synth - it is accessed via the midi inputs and send it's audio directly to an amp or mixer...

In the case of my M Audio venom, Yes.

It acts as a USB midi board to internal computer VST's and if i inplug the USB cable it goes back to synthisizer with it's 4-5 banks of 128 programs.

Cool huh.

In the case of my M Audio venom, Yes.

It acts as a USB midi board to internal computer VST's and if i inplug the USB cable it goes back to synthisizer with it's 4-5 banks of 128 programs.

Cool huh.

In case of just about every keyboard made after 1983.

These people already answered your q's but hell i'll answer anyways.. lol

Midi keyboard= A keyboard used to control other other hardware (other keyboards, modules, tone generators) or software (fl studio, reason, etc).
It creates NO sound of its own, just used to control other sources of sound.

Synthesizer= Sound creating hardware attached to a keyboard for the most part.. some synths have non keyboard versions, called rackmount synths, synth module or whatever they would call em.. Also some (probably most) synths are Midi keyboards themselves, if they have midi ports or USB-midi.

Imo i would buy a synthesizer with midi as a first keyboard, so you can have fun with the hardware (i'm just hardware biased) and use it as a midi controller when needed, and buy midi keyboards as your own personal studio gradually develops. But then you say you just want to sequence with DAWs, so i guess getting a cheaper midi keyboard is the better idea for you..

Last edited:
Back