Questions About Launchpad/Midicontroler

Isamu28

Hey guys!

I currently use a version of FL Studio together with my Roland AX- Synth as midicontroler.

Im thinking of moving to Ableton because of its better support for launchpads and i have 2 questions concerning the launchpad and my midicontroler.

First: What experiences have you made with the Launchpad and would you recommend it?
Second: Is there anyway i can get my midicontroller to act like a Launchpad (putting different sounds on every key etc.)?

First: What experiences have you made with the Launchpad and would you recommend it?

As long as you understand what it does, it's a great product. It's not a drum pad controller; it launches clips in Live, and that's pretty much it. Sure, you can do some basic level setting & send usage with it, but they're really coarse (since the resolution is limited to the amount of buttons - 8 steps of volume ain't exactly precise) & meant for live use rather than mixing. But its primary purpose it does really good. Had one, and switched only to the APC40 because I needed some more control options.

Second: Is there anyway i can get my midicontroller to act like a Launchpad (putting different sounds on every key etc.)?

Yes, mapping your clips to a MIDI keyboard is super straightforward in Live. You just enter the MIDI map mode, click on what you want to control, and then hit a key on your keyboard. Of course, the beauty of something like the Launchpad is that you don't have to do anything manually & the mapping is dynamic, so you can control a huge number of clips without having touch the actual mapping mode.

Thanks a lot you really helped me!
I will definitely switch to Ableton now.

Have a nice day sir.

Last edited:
Back