please help

D

dj funkifize

I need a sound module for composing. ManoOne told me to get the Emu Virtuoso 2000. and I do want that one, but it's $1000 (US)!!! I don't got that kind of money:(
but I know the Emu Proteus 2000 was supposedly the best before the Virtuoso came out... I can get that for a lot less than the Virtuoso... so is it worth it? to save for the sound? is the Virtuoso that much better than the Proteus?
thanks for any help
-Mike

well alot depends on what sorta music your going to be making... for about $300 US you can buy a Roland MC 303 groove box and use it as a sound moduel. Alot of my friens baught MC-303s and when they felt to limited by its lack of memory they simply started using it as a sound moduel as it has alot of great sounds in it. another thing to consider is an Emu orbit the Dance Planet...

taos

I want to use it for orchestral sounds... solo and ensemble.
strings, brass, woodwinds, concert percussion.

-Mike

DJ Taos said:
Alot of my friens baught MC-303s and when they felt to limited by its lack of memory they simply started using it as a sound moduel as it has alot of great sounds in it. another thing to consider is an Emu orbit the Dance Planet...

A) The lack of memory in the 303 is unbelievable. All because of those lame demo songs. theres hundreds taking up all that space! Good sounds though, although to get the best sounds from it, I found some extra "tweaking" was needed.
B) Orbit's (IMO) have incredible sounds! Eveny sound in it are truly usable to make killer trax.
Again, it depends on what kind of trax you want to lay down,
but I'd recomend an Orbit too. :D

[Edited by Crispy Disco on 02-08-2001 at 09:49 PM]

orchestra!

dj funkifize said:
I want to use it for orchestral sounds... solo and ensemble.strings, brass, woodwinds, concert percussion.

I cant believe the MC303 is mentionned here... although it can be used as a module, the sounds are not that great IMHO, and orchestrally it's not good.

---------------

The Virtuoso 2000 is really the best thing you can get
BUT you may consider the KORG NS5R, it is a very good module, was very expensive when it was out.

The proteus 2000 also, it is a great module. not only orchestral, but a great sound module indeed.

you can find those second hand hopefully cheap

Well, I just read like 8973549875 user reviews from almost every site that has them...
and I found VERY mixed reviews. The Korg NS5R was favorable by all, but not too detailed on the sounds. The Proteus 2000 had reviews from most excellent to someone saying it had "the worst string sounds ever." so, that didn't help me much. I was wondering if there was anywhere where I could hear samples of some of the sounds like you have here for the Virtuoso... that would be great help.

thanks
-Mike

well???? are there any site where i can hear what they sound like? i've been looking and can't find any
thanks
-Mike

Back