Pad Drum Controllers

Sensai_Milla

Hey Guys,

Can someone please help me out?

I wanna get a device to input my drums, I use reason with a mouse at the moment and it sucks.

I've had a look around but I don't really know what I am looking for.

I just want to be able to tap the beats out rather than program them in if you know what I mean - make it more natural/organic.

One thing I'm concerned about is getting open high hat sounds - I've found an Alesi (I think thats the name) that has a pedal you can hook up to control how open/closed the high hat is but if there's a cheaper/easier way to achieve what I'm after than I'd prefer to take that option.

So...anyone wanna help me out with this?

Peace
xxxxx

The Alesis is for playing with drum sticks so it is quite different to the padkontrol, and for its price the Alesis is quite good.

The padkontrol has one on/off pedal input, rather than a expression pedal input, so it is no different in operation than an extra pad except that it lacks velocity. The Alesis control pad has two pedal inputs that are also on/off only. In short the pedal control is very basic and lacks velocity and expression.

The key to good drum programing is to employ tricks like using alternation and edit expression and velocity after recording.

Pads that you hit with your fingers are not that much diferent to keyboard keys apart from the stroke being shorter and the layout being diferent and beleve it or not many producers do use keyboards for percusion in preferance to pads, and if all you have is a mouse than you should think about a keyboard as an option.

Last edited:
If you're looking for USB "Pads" to finger drum, then i'd also suggest the pK, pads are great, has some extra nifty features, including pedal input (x-y pad and 2x1 midi interface)...and it lights up too :D

If you're picky, I personally find the pK pads has a great feel to them, compared to the MPD and the triggerfinger, though you'll still get away with any...again, if you never tried, and have nothing to compare too, it won't matter...

Now, if you've got the cash, and want to "hand drum"...check out the Roland Handsonic HPD-10 or 15...

Back