Oberheim Matrix 6

Pbunky1970

A local shop has Matrix 6 in what appears to be in pristine condition. I am not very familiar with this type of synth, though I have heard much about it's big brother the Matrix 12. They have it priced in the mid $300's.

Are there known issues I should look for when examining and testing the synth on-site? Is it priced right, taking into account condition and if all works fine? Is the Matrix line as much a hassle to program as it would seem, ie. lack of sliders/knobs for editing?

I have always wanted an Oberheim for the sound. Is this a good entry point, or am I better to save and wait for an older OB-line model to be available?

Good price make sure it stays in tune. But u can't beat that for 300. I'd get one in a sec

tuning won't be a problem with the matrix 6.

most important thing is to make sure all the membrane buttons are working well. those are pretty necessary to control the thing.

it sounds good, kinda like a combination of some of the larger OBs and an alpha juno. a bit on the dry side for my tastes, but i certainly didn't find it that thin.

350 sounds about right, it's not a _great_ deal though. see if you can talk them down.

Pbunky1970 said:
A local shop has Matrix 6 in what appears to be in pristine condition. I am not very familiar with this type of synth, though I have heard much about it's big brother the Matrix 12. They have it priced in the mid $300's.

Are there known issues I should look for when examining and testing the synth on-site? Is it priced right, taking into account condition and if all works fine? Is the Matrix line as much a hassle to program as it would seem, ie. lack of sliders/knobs for editing?

I have always wanted an Oberheim for the sound. Is this a good entry point, or am I better to save and wait for an older OB-line model to be available?

Just to let you know, most owners of a Matrix 6 would say trying to program it from the front panel - is like trying to paint the hallway through the letter box.

You can save even more money, by buying a Matrix 1000 and investing in a good computer editor (sounddiver is my recommendation). The Matrix 6 and 1000 have identical synth engines (100% pure obie analogue) - except the 1000 cant be programmed without a computer editor. Look to pay a lot less than $300.

Thanx for the tips. It will probably be a moot point, as I am on vacation now and it will probably be gone when I get back.

I have run into a couple of Matrix 1000's available for cheap, but I like having keyboards, though a computer editor still seems the right way to go. Not a big fan of sound modules, they have always been a pain in the a**. I only have the old Roland S-50 available as a controller and it's used with the Micron (crappy short keyboard range, basically a module). Good tip, though

Back