Not Sure If This Has Been Discussed Already, But How Good Is The Akai MPK-25???

L

Little Debbie

I'm fairly new to these boards, so I wasn't sure if a topic like this one had already been made or whatnot, but if it was please forgive me.

I was looking into getting my first midi controller, but I'm not completely sure quite yet. The MPK-25 was one of the main ones I was looking at. I asked the customer service reps at Guitar Center, but I wasn't really sure if they were just trying to sell it or if it was really as good as they said it was (and they didn't even have it so you could test it out in the store =/ ).

So has anyone here had the chance to own or at least experiment with it? Pros? Cons? Any other suggestions? :confused:

The MPK series is pretty useful. You get keyboard and pads as controllers, plus Note Repeat and Arps. These pros alone make it a better deal than the M-Audio equivalent, assuming you'll be utilizing these features.

There is a possible con, however. The pads on the MPD32 (and I think 24 as well) are the same pads from an MPC, but I don't remember which one. I've heard from a few people that the MPK pads are not the same and are not as responsive.

However, if you've never used an MPC before, this shouldn't affect you. The pads on the MPK25 are the same as on the MPK49, so you can always give that a spin at GC and see if they work for you, which is really the main criterion.

I'm currently using the MPK 49 and I love it! The repeat and arp features are awesome! I rarely use the pads, but when I do, I never have a problem with them. The keys are quality. I've been "bangin'" on them every day for the past year and so far no problems. Good luck in your decision!

I actually just bought one myself last Thursday. I'm still trying to get accustomed to it but it seems cool so far. Question for any current users though. I'm having a tough time getting fruity loops to recognize it. I can play notes, but nothing shows on the step sequencer. Any ideas? This is also my first time owning a controller.

Back