• Korg MS 200 + drummachine

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Quasimidi SIRIUS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
F

fishi

O.K. the situation I'm in is next:
I'm looking to replace Roland JX 305 which I hate more each day with either Nord Lead or MS 2000 + a good drummachine, or
I was also thinking about Quasimidi Sirius.

My budget is limited to $1300 and I would like to have a sequencer on the synth although i know Nord Lead doesn't have it.
The reason I'm choosing between these two is because I've found a shop where both of them cost the same. ($900-1000)
So there's still $300-400 left for a drummachine.

I also like Sirius a lot, but I just can't find a store that would still have them.

Thanx for your help, suggestions, info, whatever....

FISHI

I'd say go one of the VA's and an Electribe ER-1 or a Novation Drumstation. If you're bored of the 305's sounds then you'll probably get bored of the Sirius' ROMpler too. As to which one, I've heard mixed reviews of the MS2000, but everyone who uses a Nord Lead is in love with them. For a gigging deck, the nord is hella sturdier and more versatile-- I've heard the MS2000 feels like it might collapse from serious adrenalised knob tweakin. Personally, although I'm bored of a lot of the 305's sound set myself, I still think it's an oustanding live sequencer and if I were you, I'd look at getting racks to add onto your setup, keeping the 305 as a controller/sequencer.

If your short on cash there are lots of affordable gizmos you can get used for cheap-- Novation BassStation, Electribe EA-1 (which is incidentally based on the same VA engine as the MS-2000 but with limited polyphony). The pads you can make with the 305 are outstanding, and I'd be looking for more of a lead/bassline alternate that's analog(ish).
-mj-

what is MS2000?? microwave? i dunno?
i own a NL2, and while i will not say 'it is the best', it kicks a serious crunch and a hot lot of things. good to have the memory expansion card for saving xtra presets tho (only 60 U.S.? not sure, i dont have one).

Modular Jack.

I agree, that Nord Lead 2 has the best sound and is well built. But what I like about the MS 2000 is that it has that interesting analog style sequencer and a very good vocoder and fx. Nord Lead has none of them.

I know about the pads you can make with JX 305. But I make pads with Juno 1, Poly 800, or even Sidstation (they can sound really interesting and unconventional).

I don't like JX, because sounds don't respond too well to envelope, and the filter is soooo digital. Very weak sounding. I mean, I can make really good sounds with it, but it takes so much time if you want them to sound really good, that in mean time I could make 3 sounds on Juno. It's just that it has soooo many parameters and half of them is almost unusable, because sounds are ROM samples and they don't respond well.
The same goes to drum sounds.

But, yes. It is a really good master-controler keyboard because of the sequencer, keyboard split, RPS. I love it's functionality, but I hate the "sound" (it has no sound by it's own).

Is there another synth, that has a sequencer like this on board.?

About NL2. I was just thinking yesterday, that I'd rather save some extra money for the VIRUS Indigo (better sound, fx, vocoder, better look also). But, the first thing is to replace JX with a synth that could also be a good controler. And I don't have a clue which one could that be except Sirius.

MS 2000 would also suck as a controler (i figured out), because it's only 2 part multitimbral.:mad:

Well, it looks like I'm stuck with JX 305 for next half of year......:( :)

Sure it has good sequencer, but it costs three times as much as MS 2000. And that's too much for me.

Yeah, doepfer stuff definitelly rocks!!!!

the MAQ 16/3 and Regelwerk!!! ahhhh..dreams..:)

Hmm... Well it's all a matter of preference I suppose. Personally I don't like the pads on my Juno-6 they're just too dated and lacking in sound sources. With the JX I can do velocity & keyboard range splits of various string waveforms, add a tight saw with a highpass filter that sweeps in all gritty style, and just going to town with trippy lfos and crazy multi phase envelopes.

Ah well, to each their own.
-mj-

without a doubt get the nord and a drum machine, there really should be no question

Back