new korg KARMA

K

kanibalistic

hey guys, i was wondering if any of you knew about the enw karma keyboard from korg, looks pretty dope and looks like it has a lot of potential but should i stay clear from it, i want to get a keyboard and was gonna spend forever tryin to save up and get a triton workstation studio, but when i saw the karma i thought ,****, its cheaper and i could learn a lot from it before coughing it all up for the royal triton, so if anyof you have herd any news at all about the karma, itd be dope to hear from you guys, peace

All the Tritons and Karma have the same synth engine, from what i hear the Karma ia a really complicated thing to use and is nothing more than a Gimmic, its taken me a year to get to grips with my Triton and im still learning new stuff , if u want a Triton get a Classic, personaly i dont think the Triton is very good for techno trance sounds and it is a Digital Synth, i think you should look at somehting like a Virus/Nord/Supernova.(Virtual analog)
you can do some great things with the sampler and the effects are great , but sounds are cold and thinnish and dont have no punch ...im currently looking at getting a Virus C..Look for demos on the intenet.. good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
so that wouldnt be the direction to go if i wanted to make hip hop style beats? someone told me that the triton workstation studio is the one, everything in on box, but its pricey, but i do want to have studio capabilities and **** like that, would other tritons be worth to get, like if i hooked it up to my comp and got some software?>

Yes the Top hipHop/RNB producers use the Triton but not for Beats...they all use Akai MPC2000xl theres a new 4000 out so you should be able to pick up a 2000xl for a good price

so then an ideal setup would be to get like an mpc to make beats, and then a keyboard for the sounds? and if i had a computer mpc and a triton i wouldnt have to get the triton worlstation studio right? id only have to get the plain and simple one? i kmnow i sound like an idiot, but christmas is comming and i really want to get goin on producing things, any advice would do

well, if you want sampling capabilities, you'll have to go for something over the "LE" version of the Triton....

and trust me....you don't sound like an idiot.... I did (and still do sometimes) sound like one when I first started researching gear.

There is nothing plain about the Triton Classic.. runs the same operating system as the Studio and the same Sounds.
it is everything you need in one box (Synth Sequencer,Sampler),

but from what i know the Pro Hiphop Producers use MPC's for making there beats.

in the Triton you programe your beats in the Arpeggiator and it isnt very flexible from the screen, i do my sequencing from Cubase on the comp, its alot less complicated.
if i were you i wouldnt go rushing out buying loads of stuff.
get used to the triton first , ive had myn for over a year and im still learning new stuff, dont buy to much equipment at one time it will mess with your brain,
the tritons manuals were made for rocket scientists so you may find yourself scratching your head quite a bit

the studio has 7 expansion slots and a bit more flexibility for sampling and the classic has 3, from what i understand the LE has none

you dont need 7 slots unless you want all the classical music style boards

heres a web site for you www.tritonhaven.com a forum here completley dedicated to the tritons.

if you get a classic you could save your self a fair bit of money and put it towards a MPC if you still want one at a later date.

Good Luck - hope you make the right choice

Last edited by a moderator:
subdcon said:
There is nothing plain about the Triton Classic.. runs the same operating system as the Studio and the same Sounds.
it is everything you need in one box (Synth Sequencer,Sampler),

but from what i know the Pro Hiphop Producers use MPC's for making there beats.

in the Triton you programe your beats in the Arpeggiator and it isnt very flexible from the screen, i do my sequencing from Cubase on the comp, its alot less complicated.
if i were you i wouldnt go rushing out buying loads of stuff.
get used to the triton first , ive had myn for over a year and im still learning new stuff, dont buy to much equipment at one time it will mess with your brain,
the tritons manuals were made for rocket scientists so you may find yourself scratching your head quite a bit

the studio has 7 expansion slots and a bit more flexibility for sampling and the classic has 3, from what i understand the LE has none

you dont need 7 slots unless you want all the classical music style boards

heres a web site for you www.tritonhaven.com a forum here completley dedicated to the tritons.

if you get a classic you could save your self a fair bit of money and put it towards a MPC if you still want one at a later date.

Good Luck - hope you make the right choice

I hate to disagree, but the Triton classic does not run the same OS as the studio. They are very similar yes.. but are quite surely different. The sounds are also similar, but the studio has many new presets, especially in the performance mode. The Triton Studio also has a new piano sample. The samples inside the two are the same except for the piano. The presets are however like I said, largely different.

Also you do not need to program beats in the arpeggiator. You can use the sequecner. The MPC is used by hip hop artists mainly because of its name. In reality it isn't the best piece of gear. It's just that everyone has heard the name. It's great for midi sequencing as it is quite tight, but then again so are many hardwarae sequencers available. If you are looking to make hip hop.. honestly I'd recommend an MP7... or a Mo Phatt module along with a midi keyboard and a sequencer.

Almost all of Eminems first release was a Triton and Moog.

Dre uses a Triton to control his entire setup ( yes he uses MPC too).

Snoop uses a few Tritons.

For hip-hop, the Triton is awesome, especially with the MOSS VA expansion. Super sounding EP's, cool strings, pads, ect.

Differences between Triton Studio and Triton CLassic:

1. Studio has faster screen
2. Studio has 8 empty slots of PCM expansions
3. Studio has standard SCSI and digital i/o
4. Studio has expansion 8 standard
5. Studio has optional internal burner
6. Studio has internal hard drive
7. Studio has resampling

Other than that, they are exactly the same. Same effects, same sequencer, same synth engine, same sounds ( a few different presets).

You can get a Triton new for around 1650$ from most stores. Add SCSI EXB at 100$, then 30$ for a used zip drive, 40$ for sample ram, and 399$ for MOSS board and you have a fantastic hip-hop production station.

The Triton Studio is around 2600$, and would cost you around 3 grand with the MOSS board.

One nice thing about both Tritons is you can overwrite ANY patch in the board. Every single slot is user-rewriteable.

A nice combination would be a Triton with MOSSand a A-station or nor micro modular.

For hip hop I would definately go with Triton or MPC. These were made for hip-hop.

thanks alot for the input i really appreciate it, so i got the big picture, and i was now thinking which would be more realistic to start and possibly get comfortable untill i got the other peice. i am tryin to get as much piano practice as possible so would it seem smart to get the keyboard and learn more, and then get an mpc, pound my beats and then sample stuff on piano. thanks again for the help

VSTerrestrial said:

The sounds are also similar, but the studio has many new presets, especially in the performance mode. The Triton Studio also has a new piano sample. The samples inside the two are the same except for the piano. The presets are however like I said, largely different.

Also you do not need to program beats in the arpeggiator. You can use the sequecner.

They use the same PCG file which means the presets are the same. the new Piano sounds you talk about are a Piano Expansion board that comes as standard with the studio, which leave you with 7 slots free.Performance mode? do you own a triton? Program mode, yes the beats are made in global mode in the Arppegiator and then in Sequencer mode you select the preset that you just made.

yes I do own a triton.. hehe. Sorry, I confused my triton with my motif for a i second there. Performance mode = Combi mode

on the motif it's called performance mode. It's the same idea though.

My experience with the Triton Studio is through my former job in keyboard retail. I can tell you for sure that the presets were not by any means the same. Perhaps the korg representative loaded some third party presets on our demo unit. All I know was that I own a triton classic, and when I played the studio I was able to find the best presets of the classic, plus many new (really nice) presets. Also the new piano sound is available on an expansion board for the triton classic users, however the triton studio has the sound on it's internal rom. The triton studio in fact has I believe has 32 voices of its polyphony dedicated to this one sound which makes the total poly figure a bit distorted.

As for beats I am confused as to how you guys make them. I do not make my beats in the arpeggiator. I play them live and then quantize. Then I loop the bit. I make drum presets in global but that's about it.

As for the pcg file being the same this is not true. There are OS updates coming or that have come that make the two compatible with their pcg files but they are not the same. Sorry to disagree but this is untrue.

Best regards,
Mark

\\
As for the pcg file being the same this is not true. There are OS updates coming or that have come that make the two compatible with their pcg files but they are not the same. Sorry to disagree but this is untrue. \\

The PCG files are completely compatable between the Studio and the Triton Classic. Same effects, same number of effects, same exact synth engine.

I'm sorry. I don't know where you guys are getting this information. Korg announced themselves that an OS update was necessary to make the pacg files compatible between the two. KORG themselves SAID THIS. If they have already made the update then the files are compatible now. But originally they were NOT. There was even a question on the FAQ section asking this I believe. It is possible that the pcg files may be compatible at the moment.... however this is not the result of the engines being "exactly alike".. this is the result of KORG making it possible through its OS software. Try this (if you can) load the pcg file of a studio into a Triton with its ORIGINAL OS (first ever). You'd have to find a triton that has the first OS (probably tough). Then you can see for yourself if you don't believe me.

Why must people disagree with me? I don't make this ****e up.

++I'm sorry. I don't know where you guys are getting this information. Korg announced themselves that an OS update was necessary to make the pacg files compatible between the two. KORG themselves SAID THIS. If they have already made the update then the files are compatible now. But originally they were NOT. There was even a question on the FAQ section asking this I believe. It is possible that the pcg files may be compatible at the moment.... however this is not the result of the engines being "exactly alike".. this is the result of KORG making it possible through its OS software. Try this (if you can) load the pcg file of a studio into a Triton with its ORIGINAL OS (first ever). You'd have to find a triton that has the first OS (probably tough). Then you can see for yourself if you don't believe me. ++

The synth engine is the exact same. So are the effects. So are the sounds. So are the PCG's. The only difference in the O.S. is some re-sampling features.

Again :

SYNTH ENGINE - exactly the same
EFFECTs -Exactly the same

yes.., I don't disagree that the tritons (all) are based upon the same sample playback engine...... also they do have the same effects section... however you are missing the point. This does not by any means make the pcgs compatible entirely.

look... I'm not going to argue about this anymore. Believe me if you want or not. I have no reason to make stuff up or to lie. My source is my local korg rep and announcements Korg has made themselves. Take it for what its worth but I'm done arguing over a minor point.

karma, studio, classic, le, all have the same "HI" engine. Share some of the same effects, and pcgs and dual arpegiators. However, depending on which board you are talking about they dont neccessarily have the exact same pcgs (although they do share most, each have some that the others dont) and yes the os is differant because they all have differant features. and yes all triton series(this includes karma) have compatible pcgs, however, what is not compatible is programing that is not shared by the boards, i.e., the triton le only has 1 ifx, so for a studio pcg that requires a size 2 effect will load, but not sound exactly the same. samething with other features. Karma data will not load on triton, moss not on le, or boards without moss, etc.

Back