New keyboard instead of M-Axiom pro

SARN

I have the 61 key version. I'm really dissapointed by the product, because it is really just an expanded keyboard. It relies on a computer and software to give it any function, and i cant help but think that you might as well just use your mouse and DAW. The Axiom just controls it.

I would much rather have a midi keyboard with its own sounds in it and where you can put samples onto the keys. Something like Timbaland and Kanye does. Any suggestions?

It's a personal choice really.

Midi control + software synths and romplers is a very effective and cost efficient setup, without sacrificing quality or power. The newer controllers are being made to tightly integrate with the software, so that you can essentially tweak most of the parameters on the controller and not have to use the mouse much.

You could always get a combination like Reason 6 + a Panorama Nektar. Or you can get a very nice Novation SL mkii board which has Automap. Automap allows you to control the synth at your finger tips also. WHen you get it working good.... it's really no functional difference than getting a board w/ it's own sounds.

However... if it just doesn't excite you, i agree that you should consider a keyboard workstation. It's not point in using a midi controller if you're not really excited about it. However.... keyboard workstations are more expensive naturally. So... your unexcitement will lead you to spending more money. I'm looking at still like the Roland Gaia and the MicroKorg XL. They are within the same price range as midi controllers but have built-in synths. Sound nice too.

I think you'll ultimately last on the Korg MicroStation to be honest. It's more of a traditional rompler, has 61 keys, and has a nice $399 price tag.

Another alternative is a midi controller, but hooking it up directly to a sound module. I do this also right now.... I have a Novation SL mkii, and I can trigger sounds from my Roland JV1010 and my Korg TR. I love the sounds in these things.... and the JV1010 has an expansion slot. Best of both worlds. I hear you can use Automap to also control the parameters of the sound module, but I haven't fooled around w/ that much yet.

Thanks for the answers. How do I know exactly if what I'm buying is a rompler? Doesn't really say. Is a arranger keyboard the same thing?

Back