Is the MPC really the best to sample on?

Michirican123

Illistrated Man
I always see videos of people chopping their samples up with an mpc or mpd, what makes that way of sampling so special???

Well the MPC is a hardware sampler - the MPD is a MIDI pad controller. With the MPD you will need either a computer w/ a software sampler or a hardware sampler to hook it up to. They both feature pads, which makes them easy to use, assign different sample chops to different pads.

The MPC, besides being a nice all-in-one sampler/sequencer with great pads, doesn't really have any specific features that would make it better than, lets say, a computer + software sampler + the MPD. You could also achieve the same results with a keyboard , but the feel is different.

Last edited:
Hitting pads and hitting keys require a slightly different technique and hand position...

I don't know. The way I've seen some people beat the **** out of the pads on the MPC, I'm sure they would do the same on the keyboard.

The pads have very little to do with the sampling in my opinion. They are just a slightly more natural way to program drums. Its interface for sampling is very precise and can be used quickly when one is accustomed to using it.

I don't know. The way I've seen some people beat the **** out of the pads on the MPC, I'm sure they would do the same on the keyboard.

Keys have a smaller surface and a much deeper action then a pad. In other words you can usually play faster with pads and you don't have to be as accurate when you strike...

no it is not the best maybe the most common but not the best. there is no best in music though only whats best for a person.

the mpc maybe has the best sequencer. it is easy to use. you can sample from anywhere. if you want to be a sample based producer and only can buy one peice of gear it maybe the best for you

cons using it to sample cut samples and assign samples is very time consuming even once it is second nature its still a pretty long process when you think about it.

you know when you tap your fingers to the beat of a song? you cant do that on a keyboard, the pads just feel more natural to me because i have both a mpc and midi keyboard and i prefer the mpc. you can also control velocity quite well on pads versus keys.

i would totally object to that statement it is full of falsities except its personal opinion

mpc vs my triton studio same sample i would win the flip just cause it can do everything a mpc can do plus it has more efx

thte thing that really kills the mpc besides akais lack of interest is submenus and that stupid little spin knob that slows everything you have to setup down.

fu*k a Triton sampler if we are going to talk about keyboard samplers lets talk about a beast of a keyboard sampler the ASR10 owns just about any mpc feature for feature. The mpc has a better sequencer but thats about all it has on an ASR. The ASR10 could be argued to be the best sampler ever. Hell look around FP there are quite a few cats with mpcs and asrs that choose to use their asr instead of the mpc.

i would totally object to that statement it is full of falsities except its personal opinion

mpc vs my triton studio same sample i would win the flip just cause it can do everything a mpc can do plus it has more efx

thte thing that really kills the mpc besides akais lack of interest is submenus and that stupid little spin knob that slows everything you have to setup down.

lol your wack homie... tritons aren't dope at all. i cant believe nobody has mentioned that the E-Mu SP-1200 is the best sampler? As far as hip hop samplers go the MPC would kill your crispy sounding triton. Lo Fi > Hi Fi in hip hop, sorry. Why would you even waste your money on a triton anyway? Seriously go with analog synths from the 80s

some people like the crisp sound of the new sh*t whats wrong with that? I love the crisp sound of my S3000

lol your wack homie... tritons aren't dope at all. i cant believe nobody has mentioned that the E-Mu SP-1200 is the best sampler? As far as hip hop samplers go the MPC would kill your crispy sounding triton. Lo Fi > Hi Fi in hip hop, sorry. Why would you even waste your money on a triton anyway? Seriously go with analog synths from the 80s

lo fi >hi fi? since when ummm wu tang? or you must be talking underground? i never said the triton is the best sampler simply stated it has more effects and a better interface. tritons are no longer as costly as they used to be. and you can get them at the same cost as most decent mpcs. But i'll be wack cause i dont want to be limited to samples or pay people to use their samples or lose royalties because of samples. by the way fl studio shyts on your rush hour work flow on your mpc.. but analog synths are great but to get one from the 80s you could buy a car. lets get some consistency in your post.

Back