More about LFO sync

well an lfo (low-freq operator) goes at a certain rate, usually measured in Hz. If your LFO is independent of tempo, you can set it to any rate you like. Many synths and samplers will allow you to sync the lfo to tempo, meaning that the LFO's rate is no longer independent, instead it will be a fraction or multiple of the MIDI tempo. So a free lfo would have settings like 10 Hz or 6.3 Hz, but a tempo-synced lfo would have settings of like 1/1, 1/8, or 2/1, referring to how many cycles per beat. This is useful for rhythmic modulation effects.

peace

An LFO might also be synchronised to another LFO.

What this means is that the moment the Master LFO's amplitude rises above a value of 0 The slave LFO is restarted.

This can produce some interesting and less regular modulation. Identical to synchronising oscillators to produce a variety of waveforms, it just happens on a slower speed.

irie said:
well an lfo (low-freq operator) goes at a certain rate.......

Hi,

Low Frequency Oscillator?! you were probably stoned when you posted!

synchronised LFO's are fantastic for liquidizing sounds, unsynched ones are equally as good in some situations. Random Synchronised LFO's have to be my favourite.

dafluxtah

I often use LFO synced to tempo to create a quantised "chopper" fx (that's making a kind of fx like on the old trance track "The Netherworld" from LSG)

Peace :cheers:

fluxtah said:

Hi,

Low Frequency Oscillator?! you were probably stoned when you posted!

synchronised LFO's are fantastic for liquidizing sounds, unsynched ones are equally as good in some situations. Random Synchronised LFO's have to be my favourite.

dafluxtah

what do you mean...it IS low-freq operator isn't it? And by the way, I WAS stoned, I'm just curious how you knew ;)

peace

LFO = low frequency oscillator :rolleyes:

a LFO is an oscillator used for modulation, out of the audible range (too low)

Peace :cheers:

Back