"Mo'" innovation from the big 3! The Yamaha MO synthesizer!

I heard it's 1200 or 1299 . I hope discounters will let it go for $1000. The fantom xa and korg TR are both $1000.

". Targeted to semi-professional musicians and home/project studio owners as well as songwriters and performers, the MO provides a full set of authentic sounds..."

I'm already bored.

MO6= cookie cutter machine for people who need to compose jingles, etc..

As for the OASYS, it's an overpriced piece of poo. I've played it, and while the display is neat, for the price of the pieces it emulates, you could get the real deal that sounds better, and most importantly, playing the keyboard on the OASYS SUCKS DONKEY-SCHLONG. Why? Because it's got this big-a$$ shelf that sticks out like three or four inches underneath the keys. For that kind of money, I want a keyboard that isn't gonna smack my digits if I'm playing a little slack wristed or doing multi-finger rolls on a key. No way! Plus...how long is that touch screen LCD gonna last before crapping out and what's the replacement cost on that?

Sorry, Korg fans, thumbs down on the OASYS, I don't care what any mag, statistic or salesman tells you. Get an original Wavestation A/D, an MS20, a DW8000, an MP4, a Poly6, an e6400ultra, and you've got way better tone, more power and have spent way less than the cost of the OASYS.

As for the MO6...it's a commercial preset box for somebody who doesn't have the time, desire or drive to program their own sounds. Great...buy one and sound like everyone else that bought one too. Yay.

We were all noobs once, but yeah, it would be nice if there was some sticky that had a "Hey, if you're new to all this check the archives and the FAQs before you start asking the same old questions and pointing at all kinds of stats that either A) you don't understand, or B) are unimportant or irrelevant!"

In answer to a question in this topic a while ago, I don't want manufacturers to cram anything more into keyboards. I want them to take stuff out!

I don't want:

Sampling
Sequencer
Arpeggiator
Editing of sounds
GM sounds
Drum sounds

I do want:

100 top quality sounds
Split/layer from dedicated buttons
No sharing of effects on split/layer
A piano-style semi-weighted keyboard (even for 61 note version)
Dedicated EQ controls
A ROTARY volume control for Pete's sake!
A program chain facility so I can pre-program my whole set without using up any user patches

Ther's probably loads more but what do you guys want added or taken away?

pongoid said:
As for the MO6...it's a commercial preset box for somebody who doesn't have the time, desire or drive to program their own sounds. Great...buy one and sound like everyone else that bought one too. Yay.
"But do it make beats?"

I wasn't overly impressed by the Oasys, in the hearing, or by the specs. Actually, the VA engine sounded very nice, but I've always liked Korg's aggressive VA sounds (just not their knob zippering). But -c'mon- two freakin' velocity layers per sample? Please. This is no "new world"; this is a Triton with uncompressed ROM.

-Hoax

aliengroover said:
Anybody ever think that companies offer what they offer because, now here's a new concept, it's what the majority of the consumers want? Yammie is only smart to make a budget version of the MOTIF. When every other car manufacturer was making a killing off of small SUVs, it was only a matter of time before other companies like Mercedes and BMW started making them. Supply and demand. Why change that? All you can do is make the change incrementally. Once upon a time, there was no sampling in ROM based workstations. Then it slowly got added, and now, you can't even consider putting out a workstation without sampling. I think that the same will happen with adding analog modelling. Right now, the thinking is, if you need a good sounding VA, then there are enough out on the market, so why cram a half decent one into a workstation?

I'm baffled that people are all up in arms over the announcements of budget...not flagship, but budget offerings from the Big Three.
Peace

Interesting fact about covering a market. Did you know that it costs companies like Steinberg and Cakewalk more money to develop their LE versions of software than it does their professional versions. Kind of strange.

Back