"Mo'" innovation from the big 3! The Yamaha MO synthesizer!

sleepy said:
Budget version of the Motif?

Looks like it..in order to compete with the Fantom Xa and Korg TR....

I just hope at least ONE of the big 3 will release something NEW at NAMM this year.

Looks like an attractive alternative ion my opinion. Provided that the pricing is relatively low that is.

It would work for people that don't need the sampling and expansion options.

For the sake of discussion, what do you feel that companies should integrate/add into their workstations in order for the product to be a step ahead of what is already available?

I don't see what else they can cram into these workstations.

sleepy said:
Looks like an attractive alternative ion my opinion. Provided that the pricing is relatively low that is.

It would work for people that don't need the sampling and expansion options.

For the sake of discussion, what do you feel that companies should integrate/add into their workstations in order for the product to be a step ahead of what is already available?

I don't see what else they can cram into these workstations.

I dont at all see how this would be an alternative to the Ion. The Ion is a subtractive synthesizer which models various vintage filters, while the Motif is a sample playback based synthesizer. If nothing else, these two would be great compliments to each other.

As far as what could be added to these workstations....the Alesis Fusion and Korg OASYS are examples of where workstations are already going. Not only do these workstations offer the same sample based engines of yesteryear (more like, the same sample based engines of the last 2 decades), but also robust FM, Subtractive, and physical modeling engines.

As long as they are holding on to those sample based engines, these companies should also add internal hard drives (again, as already seen in the Fusion and Oasys) for the sake of storing samples. What good is the paltry 170 or so megabytes of sample ROM on the Motif when a software based sample playback synth like Kontakt comes with gigabytes upon gigabytes of samples?

Finally, these workstations are in DIRE need of improved interfaces. Its horrible that most people buy workstations for their presets and dont even consider the possibility of creating their own sounds from scratch. I'm guessing that better interfaces would inspire quite a few people to actually experiment and make something unique for themselves.

Array said:

Finally, these workstations are in DIRE need of improved interfaces. Its horrible that most people buy workstations for their presets and dont even consider the possibility of creating their own sounds from scratch. I'm guessing that better interfaces would inspire quite a few people to actually experiment and make something unique for themselves.

I couldnt agree more.......i count myself to the lazy bastards that rarely do thier own sound designing.

Array said:

I dont at all see how this would be an alternative to the Ion. The Ion is a subtractive synthesizer which models various vintage filters, while the Motif is a sample playback based synthesizer. If nothing else, these two would be great compliments to each other.

As far as what could be added to these workstations....the Alesis Fusion and Korg OASYS are examples of where workstations are already going. Not only do these workstations offer the same sample based engines of yesteryear (more like, the same sample based engines of the last 2 decades), but also robust FM, Subtractive, and physical modeling engines.

As long as they are holding on to those sample based engines, these companies should also add internal hard drives (again, as already seen in the Fusion and Oasys) for the sake of storing samples. What good is the paltry 170 or so megabytes of sample ROM on the Motif when a software based sample playback synth like Kontakt comes with gigabytes upon gigabytes of samples?

Never meant that it would be a good alternative to a VA synth bur rather an alternative to other more expensive workstations that have features that a person might not need.

The Yamaha EX-5 has already done what the Oasys and Fusion built on. So they're nothing new or innovative really.

I do agree on the interface aspect. But short of having a vga output and a mouse I don't see what they can really do with those small lcd screens.

sleepy said:
For the sake of discussion, what do you feel that companies should integrate/add into their workstations .

Peep the openlabs neko. You can clone entire workstation sound sets into it. Up to 7 million patches I think it was. So everytime a new one comes out, just rent it, clone it and you get ot.

Array said:
Not only do these workstations offer the same sample based engines of yesteryear (more like, the same sample based engines of the last 2 decades)

Shows how much you know. The HD-1 engine in the OASYS is a completely new design and blows the Triton away.

What good is the paltry 170 or so megabytes of sample ROM on the Motif when a software based sample playback synth like Kontakt comes with gigabytes upon gigabytes of samples?

The OASYS sounds amazing at its current 616MB (not counting the 503MB EXs-2 piano). Given that, I'd say "gigabytes upon gigabytes" is overkill, or penis envy. I'll take quality over quantity, thank you very much.

uNDefineD said:

The OASYS sounds amazing at its current 616MB (not counting the 503MB EXs-2 piano). Given that, I'd say "gigabytes upon gigabytes" is overkill, or penis envy. I'll take quality over quantity, thank you very much.

OK, so having a few hundred megabytes of samples for each instrument is overkill and penis envy, while having a 503MB piano on the OASYS is A-OK?

I'm sure all of the fine people out there using GigaStudio and bundles like the Vienese Symphonic Cube (240 gigabytes of symphonic samples) all must have really really tiny penises and use such libraries to compensate for their inadequecies.

uNDefineD said:

Shows how much you know. The HD-1 engine in the OASYS is a completely new design and blows the Triton away.

Way to take what I said out of context. I was lamenting the fact that workstations only offer users sample based engines (and rarely anything else), which has been the norm for well over a decade now.

Array said:
OK, so having a few hundred megabytes of samples for each instrument is overkill and penis envy, while having a 503MB piano on the OASYS is A-OK?

Isn't half a gig pretty small for a piano these days?

I'm sure all of the fine people out there using GigaStudio and bundles like the Vienese Symphonic Cube (240 gigabytes of symphonic samples) all must have really really tiny penises and use such libraries to compensate for their inadequecies.

Jeez, have a sense of humour.

Way to take what I said out of context. I was lamenting the fact that workstations only offer users sample based engines (and rarely anything else), which has been the norm for well over a decade now.

It's not like they don't work. Besides, the Fusion and OASYS have more than that: in the latter case you have analog modelling and tonewheel organ modelling, and come December you'll also have a plucked string generator.

thunderkyss said:
Would you care to explain to me the difference between HI synthesis, and HD1??

I haven't found a clear answer yet.

From what I remember, they don't look that much different on paper. You really have to A/B them; the OASYS is streets ahead.

Anybody ever think that companies offer what they offer because, now here's a new concept, it's what the majority of the consumers want? Yammie is only smart to make a budget version of the MOTIF. When every other car manufacturer was making a killing off of small SUVs, it was only a matter of time before other companies like Mercedes and BMW started making them. Supply and demand. Why change that? All you can do is make the change incrementally. Once upon a time, there was no sampling in ROM based workstations. Then it slowly got added, and now, you can't even consider putting out a workstation without sampling. I think that the same will happen with adding analog modelling. Right now, the thinking is, if you need a good sounding VA, then there are enough out on the market, so why cram a half decent one into a workstation?

I'm baffled that people are all up in arms over the announcements of budget...not flagship, but budget offerings from the Big Three.
Peace

I just wonder how many Viruses would sell if they were sold as a workstation with a sequencer. Probably be up there with the triton with the 1000 or so presets the virus comes with.

aliengroover said:
Anybody ever think that companies offer what they offer because, now here's a new concept, it's what the majority of the consumers want?

I dont think it's quite that simple. Most people simply dont know about any alternatives that are available. Hell, most salesmen at chains like Guitar Centers dont know anything beyond what is offered in their stores (usually ROMpler workstations).

You're GC stinks then. One of the ones near me has over a whole wall full of analog modelling/VA gear, not too mention the ones in the racks.

I think it's a huge mis-generalization to say that "ROMplers" are all the gear buying public and salespeople knows. The number of people who are not aware of samplers, VAs and such, and have been into music making for over a year, is probably very small. Everybody I've dealt with in the Sam's and GC's in the Philly area are way more up on software and analog modelling than anything else.

The issue is that you seem to have a problem with people wanting what they want when it comes to this subject. Just buy what you want and like and leave it at that. I believe you posted a pic of your setup (nice gear, BTW), and it seems you've purchased what you want. How 'bout for once you don't try to "diss" people for doing the same?
Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Back