MIDINES - midi cart for your 8 bit nintendo

xik

that IS cool. I dont suppose that we can buy a ROM version of this? My NES stopped working years ago (sister dropped the damn thing) :(

sorry, there is a seperate microcontroller in midines so it cannot be emulated, the seperate processor does the majority of the midi translation

so there isn't a rom avaliable

xik said:
sorry, there is a seperate microcontroller in midines so it cannot be emulated, the seperate processor does the majority of the midi translation

so there isn't a rom avaliable

Any plans for an emulated VST version then? There are plenty of open source NES emulators out there, some which probably have some pretty liberal liscences. Maybe one of the authors would want to cooperate. I would be willing to pay a pretty penny for it.

It's kind of funny that you posted this today. Just the other day I was thinking about how cool it would be to have a synth that can do NES sounds.

well I know emulation fan's would like something, like rom, luvtrax out of .jp has made a tb-303 - 909 .nes sequencer that is avaliable free here:

http://dmst.jp/luvtrax/dl.htm

2a03 is a roking site for anything nes chip

http://www.2a03.org/software.php

also there are currently two nes music systems avaliable for free in software,

they are nerdtracker2

and the .jp popular MCK, which uses MML style composition,

both music systems are linked on 2a03, and both will generate a .nsf, that should run on the actual hardware

- midines has the benefit that you can use any sequencer and also you can try to emulate a analog synth but it's still not the same, I'm just a hardware nutter, and after using the above mck system for actual hardware playback I realized how much better the hardware sounds over the emulators, thats why I went with a hardware cart, rather than a vst

but for vst fans there are the free tweakbench triforce and peach, toad, plugs

http://www.tweakbench.com/instruments.php?id=16

Last edited:
xik said:

- midines has the benefit that you can use any sequencer and also you can try to emulate a analog synth but it's still not the same, I'm just a hardware nutter, and after using the above mck system for actual hardware playback I realized how much better the hardware sounds over the emulators, thats why I went with a hardware cart, rather than a vst

that's what's so cool about it...
plus the NESFX is such a cool idea..

man i want one, no $$ though..

want to trade a megaphone? :D

I could see some good percussion and bass comes out of the nintendo. Very nice stuff.

Edit: Thanks for the info xik, I will be trying that tri-force vsti. Corny name and mp3 sample but not bad.:D

Last edited:
i think that guy can get sued for selling that tho. nintendo didnt give him permissin to use the nes liek that. he has NO license from nintendo at all. and 79 dollars is a rip-off just to hear some triangles and saws.

LAZEE said:
i think that guy can get sued for selling that tho. nintendo didnt give him permissin to use the nes liek that. he has NO license from nintendo at all. and 79 dollars is a rip-off just to hear some triangles and saws.

i don't think nintendo gives a crap about it.. if they did they would have already sued the LSDJ and nanoloop folks (LSDJ and nanoloop are musical programs made for the game boy)
this is cottage low volume industry and its not like they even make the product anymore..

and

rip off?!?!
what ever man.. this is sick.. its not just triangles and saws.. its traingles and saws through the nintendo's sound engine, 8-bit goodness!!

well ill tell you this, if he made a supernes version, id buy it within a heartbeat! the SNES has the best sound chip ever! it is made from sony afterall ^_^

And if you all didnt know, the nes used PCM channels too. so i wonder if you can sample stuff on that. since the nes is capable.

excellent!

i have made whole tracks on limited gear like the CASIO SK-1 lately - this device is a great idea :)

A SNES version would definitely be nice too as said above ;)

this is a dope alternative to the overprices sidstation as well- anybody can pop a commador sound chip out and controll it with micro controllers and midi- there are so many sights out that show you how to do this- but this nintendo deal is cool, I've been seeing these midi cartiges on ebay auctioning for $100 to 200- this would be cool to hook up with some old trackers.

Back