midi setup

phil40

Hey I need some help asap, I have an old concertmate 980 (casio ctk-511) keyboard with midi in and out on back but how the heck do I get ableton to pick it up if that's possible, im using it alongside an akai mpk25 I would ideally like to record from both if that's possible, im using a usb to midi adapter converter interface.

Help

Should be well possible. Have you tried connecting the MPK to the MIDI/USB interface via a MIDI cable, just to see that your MIDI interface works? Easy enough way to start troubleshooting.

Basically there shouldn't really be any extra steps to take. There aren't many MIDI settings on the keyboard; you might wanna check on which MIDI channel the Concertmate is sending on - I think Live defaults on receving on all channels, so theoretically it shouldn't really matter at this point.

Hey thanks for the reply, im just bit fed up with not having it all up and running, basically all I want is to have both keyboards working in ableton if possible and also the volca bass involved somewhere in between

Well, as said there's nothing there that's impossible. You just have to troubleshoot the setup somehow and since you have two MIDI-capable keyboards and one interface, that's a good place to start.

Thanks again I think im in too much of a rush, plus something else the akai mpk25 shows up in ableton preferences but the concertmate keyboard doesn't, any ideas

It won't see the keyboard but it will see the MIDI signals sent out from it... I don't know Ableton but best guess is that there's an "add controller" in the audio/midi-settings menu where you can tell the DAW what is creating the signal...

Yeah, the Concertmate won't show up as such - the MIDI/USB interface should, as (extra) MIDI ports in the MIDI preferences. You basically just have to make sure at least "track" is on for that MIDI port (there shouldn't be any others if that cable is your only interface).

Hey got the concertmate connected via the midi to usb cable and not getting anything going into ableton, the keyboard is set to channel 1 itself so do I need to enable a track or midi in ableton to see the incoming midi from the concertmate, the akai has picked up straight away and working fine its just trying to get the concertmate up and running which is proving a little more difficult.

thanks guys

So you can see the MIDI to USB cable in Live's MIDI preferences? There's an incoming MIDi input activity "light" in the top corner (I can't remember if its left or right - it was right before but might've changed with L9), which should be blinking if you're getting MIDI from the Concertmate into Live. Don't worry about the channel before you get it at least to that point.

Hey guys ive just been up and tried a couple of things and its finally working ive got both akai and concertmate running, im using the concertmate as master as its 61 keys full size, and using the akai for well what ever I can really, the both working independently, im so happy its finally working I was beginning to think I needed a more up to date master keyboard or something( im not 100% ) when it comes to midi.

anyway 1 more thing can I add the volca bass somewhere in between the above setup, all I have for the volca at the moment is a 3.5mm audio cable so any advise on this I will appreciate guys.

Thanks for your time

Phil

anyway 1 more thing can I add the volca bass somewhere in between the above setup, all I have for the volca at the moment is a 3.5mm audio cable so any advise on this I will appreciate guys.

Does the MIDI to USB cable have a MIDI output as well? That way you could have MIDI input either live from either of the keyboards or a pre-made sequence from the DAW.

hey guys how do I get the volca bass connected in between my concertmate and mpk25 using ableton, I have a 3.5mm audio cable but not sure if this is enough. HELP

The way I explained. You can't really have it "in between" the keyboard(s) & Live, since you can't route MIDI through the Volca, only in it. So - MIDI out from the DAW into the Volca & audio out (as you have it) from the Volca into Live.

Hi,

I gotta question, as you say here's nothing there that's impossible.

Could you please help me, I downloaded GarageBand on my Mac and I am trying to hook it up with my mpk25. When I plug it via usb, keys and pads work great, however, play/stop buttons + rewind back/forward buttons simply won't do anything. Any ideas how to make them work as it supposed to?

Your help would be much appreciated

Back