MIDI Controller for FL Studio 11 ?

funkypunkk

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a MIDI keyboard for FL Studio 11. The models that caught my eye are the M-Audio Oxygen 49 IV (new model) and the Novation LaunchKey 49. The M-audio is cheaper and it looks really good, however I don't know if either of these models are supported by FL 11. If anyone has any experience regarding this or any suggestions, I'd really appreciate that. :)

Btw: I use ASIO4ALL as my sound driver.

ya, they should be. Make sure you turn them on in FL using the midi settings. (The asio4all is part of the audio settings).

They should pair up with whatever instrument or synth vst you're using in FL. Do you know where the piano roll is within FL studio? You'll see the keys there (on screen) light up as you play them on the midi keyboard.

I've noticed my midi keyboards only work if I plug them in before starting FL so that might be a little bit for you as well. Connect everything (USB) before you open FL studio.

EDIT: and ya, post here again if ya need more help.

Last edited:
OGBama: No, that was my follow-up question.

Epsilon-144: Thank you for the reply, I've settled for the Oxygen 49 IV and it's great. I've upgraded to FL 12 as well, but I have a question. I don't know how to assign individual channels to the 8 drum pads on the controller. For example, I open 3 Drumpad channels in the step sequencer/channel rack for individual drum parts (kick, hihat, snare) and I want to track them with the drum pads on the MIDI into the piano roll. I can do that with the piano keys, but the pads are more convenient for me.

If anyone knows how to do this, I'd really appreciate it.

Ya, that was the problem with FL Studio. Ableton let's you make custom drum racks. ...but I haven't found a way to do that with FL Studio.

if anybody else knows, ...please let both of us know. Or if I find out, I'll post here again. The piano roll using VST synths is the big thing. You can also link effects like frequency knobs, reverb levels, delay levels, etc to your pads/knobs ...so as you play a melody, you can warp the sound with a frequency bend (link that knob from the screen onto a knob on your controller). A tutorial of that is here: Changing the Frequency of Synth (Drum n Bass) | epsilon144.com

And ya about the original drum question being a feature in ableton,
If you have Ableton trial or a free Ableton lite version - It might come with your controller - , this is a tutorial I made for that: Make Custom Drum Racks in Ableton - YouTube

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what you're trying to do with the drum pads.

FPC allows you to assign each pad to it's own mixer output. Assuming you're using FPC, you're going to need to pay attention to what I've highlighted in red:

Simply assign each pad on the controller a different sound. The area I highlighted in red is where you assign which note that pad responds to (so you can hit the pad in that same position on your controller and have it trigger the same pad in FPC), pad cut/cut by notes as well as which individual mixer output the pad is sent to.

If I'm reading this correctly, this is what you want to use to accomplish your end goal. You only need 1 instance of FPC to do this. I used to use it all the time back when I had an M-Audio Axiom Air 32.

If that works the way you say, thats exactly it! thanks logic7!

I've been wondering that too for a loooong time.

First of all, thank you for your input logic7. What I actually wanted to do is to assign individual Channels in the step sequencer (not FPC) so that I could use the MIDI pads for percussion instruments. However, I gave up that idea in favor of Drumaxx. Still, I appreciate your reply. :D

Back