Maschine sucks someone school me on Reason

come on guy dont make us old people look bad by talking down on computers. mpcs are the shit I have a 2000 but Maschine was created in the same vain. why not use a computer to make music? makes more sense to me at least

Just being honest.. Those blinking lights on Maschine almost gave me a seizure..

I will let you in on a secrect.. The MPC and machines like that, even the earlier drum machines where created for those who could not play..

It was made for those who had ideas, but could not display those ideas instrumentally.

So when time progresses and you create a controller, which triggers your pc to make my the selected sound. Creativity dies and bubble gum enters..

There is no musicianship (not to down anyone) many producers cannot read or play music. Though this software can make a 5 year old sound like Mozart.

There are producers labeled genuis, but why? I can only give that credit to Dr. Dre, Teddy Riley, I can name more, but no time.. They actually read and play music and that is the reason there songs stick to memory, because of the use of music theory and actually using notation.

I love the MPC, but the VST and that software.. can't do it.. I mean get a rack synth or something..

Reason is dope for sampling. Im not sure why people say otherwise. I dont have enough recent experience with Maschine to say its a bad move but Reason 5 is the shit.

I didn't mean it in the sense that reason isn't good for sampling. But he's bitching about a workaround for layering sounds....reason is full of workarounds so he'll probably complain about it.

Personally I love reason but when I sample I use ableton. I just hate having to take an MP3, convert to WAV, chop in recycle (which is quick and easy don't get me wrong but the process is a ***** as a whole), then load it into reason and if I want a different chop having to go back and edit again. Just to much for me when sampling. So i'll just use ableton, chop it, arrange it. Then rewire reason and use redrum / kong to add the drums.

You right, it's easy in redrum too... but how do you use the samplers and chop to keys without a rex file in reason? maybe I'm missin somethin...
use the sample editor go to the load sample button in the nnxt select all right click auto assign chromatically

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Just being honest.. Those blinking lights on Maschine almost gave me a seizure..

I will let you in on a secrect.. The MPC and machines like that, even the earlier drum machines where created for those who could not play..

It was made for those who had ideas, but could not display those ideas instrumentally.

So when time progresses and you create a controller, which triggers your pc to make my the selected sound. Creativity dies and bubble gum enters..

There is no musicianship (not to down anyone) many producers cannot read or play music. Though this software can make a 5 year old sound like Mozart.

There are producers labeled genuis, but why? I can only give that credit to Dr. Dre, Teddy Riley, I can name more, but no time.. They actually read and play music and that is the reason there songs stick to memory, because of the use of music theory and actually using notation.

I love the MPC, but the VST and that software.. can't do it.. I mean get a rack synth or something..
Dr Dre learned to read music way after his classic material was created. Like 2004-06 if I remember right. Not to diss Dre hes my favorite producer and I can read music but art shouldn't be about math and thats what sheet music mostly is. I know cats who can't read traditional sheet music but can read a piano roll like sheet music and have an amazing ear. Its the same thing just doing it a different way.

As for racks vs vst they are the same shit. You have a keyboard that triggers racks which are just hardware vsts powered in their own box vs a vst thats powered by your computer which in a lot of cases is probably more powerful. I am not saying this to defend software or hardware (I have plenty of hardware a Korg Trinity rack, a Korg M1 rack, a Roland Juno 2, an Ensoniq EPS, a Mpc 2000, I used to also own a Roland Xp-30 and an Ensoniq ESQ1 and briefly had an XP-10) I also own Reason. I get the same quality from both in some ways Reason's quality is much better for the vintage sound I am going for.

My point is they are all different ways to do the same thing. It don't matter if you bang a prostitute or your wife you are still gettin pussy just in a different way.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

I didn't mean it in the sense that reason isn't good for sampling. But he's bitching about a workaround for layering sounds....reason is full of workarounds so he'll probably complain about it.

Personally I love reason but when I sample I use ableton. I just hate having to take an MP3, convert to WAV, chop in recycle (which is quick and easy don't get me wrong but the process is a ***** as a whole), then load it into reason and if I want a different chop having to go back and edit again. Just to much for me when sampling. So i'll just use ableton, chop it, arrange it. Then rewire reason and use redrum / kong to add the drums.
the mp3 thing i find annoying too but i very seldom sample mp3s so I just dont think about it. and if you are sampling you owe it yourself to pick up Reason 5. That eliminates the issues with layering (Kong is fast and easy to use), sampling (the sample editor is embedded into Reason), and imo there aren't that many workarounds unless you choose to work outside of the Reason program. I stopped usign Reason at version 3 and went hardware due to workarounds for sampling I tried the beta for Reason 5 and got right back onboard with Reason because Reason 5 has everything I've wanted from Reason since 2.5

the mp3 thing i find annoying too but i very seldom sample mp3s so I just dont think about it. and if you are sampling you owe it yourself to pick up Reason 5. That eliminates the issues with layering (Kong is fast and easy to use), sampling (the sample editor is embedded into Reason), and imo there aren't that many workarounds unless you choose to work outside of the Reason program. I stopped usign Reason at version 3 and went hardware due to workarounds for sampling I tried the beta for Reason 5 and got right back onboard with Reason because Reason 5 has everything I've wanted from Reason since 2.5

Yea, you sample straight from vinyl don't you? I dig digitally for now and I just hate having to convert it. I have reason 5 and love it! Kong is sick but I still use redrum to program my drums. I use kong for the layering, libraries, etc and just route it to redrum to program em. And I've read a lot about the different ways to sample into, redrum, etc now with the built in sample editor but it's still to much of a pain to me compared to ableton. It works for me for now lol.

different strokes i guess. it also probably takes into account how you chop a sample. if you are an autochopper then the live sampler might not be for you. And I sample whatever I can get my hands on I have a large vinyl collection a semi large cd collection quite a few mp3s and some cassettes and I have been trying to find a working 8track player for about 4 years now and some 8tracks to sample

Normally I don't autochop unless I'm just kinda bored or just want to see what I can come up with w/o having the full control. Sometimes you get a sick ass random chop lol. But yea, different strokes. Ableton is just to simple for me to pass up lol.

use the sample editor go to the load sample button in the nnxt select all right click auto assign chromatically

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Dr Dre learned to read music way after his classic material was created. Like 2004-06 if I remember right. Not to diss Dre hes my favorite producer and I can read music but art shouldn't be about math and thats what sheet music mostly is. I know cats who can't read traditional sheet music but can read a piano roll like sheet music and have an amazing ear. Its the same thing just doing it a different way.

As for racks vs vst they are the same shit. You have a keyboard that triggers racks which are just hardware vsts powered in their own box vs a vst thats powered by your computer which in a lot of cases is probably more powerful. I am not saying this to defend software or hardware (I have plenty of hardware a Korg Trinity rack, a Korg M1 rack, a Roland Juno 2, an Ensoniq EPS, a Mpc 2000, I used to also own a Roland Xp-30 and an Ensoniq ESQ1 and briefly had an XP-10) I also own Reason. I get the same quality from both in some ways Reason's quality is much better for the vintage sound I am going for.

My point is they are all different ways to do the same thing. It don't matter if you bang a prostitute or your wife you are still gettin pussy just in a different way.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Actually Dre was producing for a R&B group called Shalamar.. This was before RAP.. He was writing, reading and producing then..This was before hip-hop Dre.. This was the Dre that wore blouses...Then, Easy snatched him up, because he was a genius..Dre in actuallity is a Pianist..

Overall, I'm speaking for me personally.. I hate pointing and clicking and looking at a computer all day.. So I can't really deal with the computer software.. Until, I laid my track and mixed it.. Then I deal with the software only to record..

LOL.. read a piano roll..

i am not sure how the maschine, music theory, the ability to play, reading music, computers relate together...

preferring hardward over software has nothing to do with music theory,ability to play or reading music... what i gather from this thread is the OP does not like the Maschine and stating a 101 reasons why he/she does not... i think the excuses are bullsh!t... if you do not like the Maschine or computers you do not like the Maschine or computer... why add the reading music, music theory as excuses? none of these things has nothing to do with the likes or dislikes of Maschine...

to the OP... i went to you sound click page...

distortions of love ===> one finger melody
is this forever ===> decent arp.; nothing exciting; no modulations at all; no artulations...
here we go ===> same as above

there is not much theory used on your sound click page...

Last edited:
Actually Dre was producing for a R&B group called Shalamar.. This was before RAP.. He was writing, reading and producing then..This was before hip-hop Dre.. This was the Dre that wore blouses...Then, Easy snatched him up, because he was a genius..Dre in actuallity is a Pianist..

Overall, I'm speaking for me personally.. I hate pointing and clicking and looking at a computer all day.. So I can't really deal with the computer software.. Until, I laid my track and mixed it.. Then I deal with the software only to record..

LOL.. read a piano roll..
yet Dre himself said during those days he was not able to read or write music.

If you get the right software and midi controller the workflow of it is no different than working on a piece of hardware. If you bought a cheap controller then you have to deal with the point and click stuff. When I make my music the only time I point and click is to open the program and to edit. Everything else is done via my mpk25 or my bcf 2000

i love reason i love how u can create any sound bt for sample editing i use ableton jst cuz da warp feature is bananas

im new to this whole beat making stuff but he said u cant layer sounds in maschine????He does mean like putting a kick and a clap on the same pad right if thats the case u can do that in less tha 1 second on mashine there is no work around somebody please correct me if im not gettin the concept

im new to this whole beat making stuff but he said u cant layer sounds in maschine????He does mean like putting a kick and a clap on the same pad right if thats the case u can do that in less tha 1 second on mashine there is no work around somebody please correct me if im not gettin the concept

you are correct!

well if that the case when your in the browse menu and u have the sound tab selected find one sound you want press load then the next sound that u want to layer on the right screen press add and select the pad...No work around and all of about a second or two to press the buttons.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

onlything that i have to find a workaround for is timestretching samples there is no time stretch in machine well not a live tweakable one

Back