M-Audio Keystation 88 (or 88 Pro) + Akai MPK25... What do YOU think?

Waldoctg

Hey folks,

I'm new here. Futureproducers.com seems like an awesome place. How is everyone?

I want to mention I have been doing my research, but I have not come across anyone with this particular setup... this is why I'm asking the pros ;)

So, I'm looking to buy some new gear... I produce Trance/Progressive Trance. I use Sylenth1 with Cubase and/or Logic Pro. I may also use Nexus 2, NI Massive, and some other NI synths...

I am looking for a setup where I can control the VST (Say, Sylenth1) using programmable knobs on the midi controller, have a portable option, AND have a full 88 key setup.

Through my research, I think I would be happy with a M-Audio Keystation 88 + an Akai MPK25. I can use the Keystation 88 for the keys, and the MPK25 for using the knobs, pads, faders, etc... When I want to go mobile, I can use the MPK25. I can use the mod wheel and the pitch control on both the Keystation 88 and the MPK25 (which could be nice...). Also, I may go with the Keystation 88 PRO instead. This would give me many more knobs and pads (and I would definitely use them, but I don't know if I would need them with the MPK25). I've read 4.5-5 star ratings on each piece of equipment, so that's a good thing.

My four questions:

1. What do you feel about the quality of the Keystation 88 and the MPK25? What about the Keystation 88 Pro?
  2. What do you think about having them work together... Good? Bad?
  3. Can I use both midi-controllers together at the same time? (E.g., if I was turning a knob on the MPK25 and playing a note on the Keystation 88)
  4. Are there any other/better options out there with similar results.

NOTE: I don't want to go with the Akai Mini cause I hear it kinda sucks... please correct me if you feel otherwise.

Thanks so much!
Waldoctg

---------- Post added 09-27-2012 at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-26-2012 at 09:56 PM ----------

Come on, guys... no one???

Last edited:
I have a m-audio 88-keys, and it does the job for me. But I heard a couple of keyboard cats say m-audio keyboards are not as good as they use to be. Down the line I'll prob upgrade to a roland a88 or a yamaha cp33. If u just want a 88 contoller the 88 keystation is fine, but if u want a real piano feel u should go with the 88-pro, or spend a extra 500 for the roland or yamaha.

Last edited:
I have one of the original keystation pros. Its not very good keyboard wise, but its a good cheap way to get 88 keys weighted.

Back