Looking for a bass guitar midi interface converter. Recommendations?

feel_good_hit

So here's the setup. I have a full bass guitar rig (amp, guitar, cab, pedals, etc etc) and want to take my live performance to the next level. The rig itself will take care of the low, smooth sub bass but I want a way to trigger the synthesizers I have created in Reason 6. I did a little research and found the Roland GI-20 to be a great choice but it's a little hard to find nowadays and not exactly cheap.

So my question is, are there other possibly cheaper alternatives out there? It would be nice to not have to install a new pickup for it too but I'm willing to go the extra mile to get what I need. Thanks for any help!

A divided pickup gives you the possibility to send the signal from each string to a different synth sound, whereas the the single line convertor described above can only be used to drive one synth module.

Of course you could use splits and filters on the MIDI signal to drive a sampler/rompler that has different sounds allocated to different pitch ranges.

Not necessary with with the Sonuus device as it is monophonic. I'm pretty sure you don't plan on playing chords on your bass.

Why not - Jaco (Pastorius) did, John Petrucci and Stanley Clarke do, so it is possible. desirable may be debatable. My point about the divided pickup is that it allows you to have different sounds for each string (not about playing chords)

I am referring to the Sonuus unit. Not really concerned with the other stuff you are talking about.

But I don't get what you are saying.

Last edited:
With a divided pickup you can set the controller brain to allocate different sounds to each part of the pickup, so you can have drums on the low E, Trombones on the A, Cellos on the D and orchestra hits on the G.

Why you would want to do this is down to individual performance and recording needs.

As for the Sonuus, you could use MIDI data filters to replicate the effect but limited to pitch ranges rather than strings.

Not necessary with with the Sonuus device as it is monophonic. I'm pretty sure you don't plan on playing chords on your bass.

Once you hook your bass up to MIDI you are not limited to playing only bass sounds so you might actually want to play chords when triggering non-bass instruments.

In that case the person would be better off with something like the Roland midi pickups. As that would be much move convent on a guitar than on a bass.

Back