Korg MicroKorg VS Korg Ms-2000

M

Mars Cydonia

Sup yall..

I know these two synths have the same engine.. But does the micro have all that the ms2000 has? Is it just that the micro is more compact?

I'm thinking about getting one of these.. I'm liking the ms cus I dont have to mess with the internal... Also it's keys are much better and it's vintage look is cool.. But as far is that which one would yall go for?

I will be buying it used.. It seems a used ms go's for 500-450 and a micro go's for 250.. So if it's just the compact size and keys i might just go with the micro..

It would be cool to see which one yall would go for and why..

Any help will be highly appreciated..

They say the MicroKorg is just a scaled down version of the MS-2000; I never tried the MicroKorg before, so I can't name any remarkable differences - sorry.

Anyway - welcome to FP !! :hello:

I have an MS2000 and love it. It's very utilitarian (not flashy, no gimmicky features) which makes it a very good synth to learn theory.

I personally can't stand the mini keys on the MicroKorg, but it's got some redeaming qualities. You can sample and hold the vocoder, then tweak it with the filter/effects, as well as pitch shift your voice (You can't do this with the 2000). Plus the fact that it can be powered by batteries is appealing.

For those prices, why not both?:p

I should also add that the micro has an 8 band vocoder while the MS has a 16. unfortunately, I couldn't tell you the difference in quality that might make.

:cheers:

im a complete synth newbie. my ms2k rack came in yesterday (from ebay) and im very happy so far. nice preset sounds, and the controls seem easy enough to figure out. a little manual reading and i was tweaking away. :)

no experience w/ the micro, but, i would fully endorse the ms2kr.

Micro haas also 16 band vocoder, but you can't edit all 16 bands separately, they're linked together in pairs (1+2, 3+4 ...). Otherwise I think micro doesn't have the mod sequencer, but the synth engine is the same.

Just so we're clear...

Classic Vocoding
The microKORG includes an 8-band vocoder with many advanced features. You can capture and "freeze" the formants of your voice, and then play it across the keyboard, or shift the formant frequency to make your voice sound male, female, like a child, or just plain wacky! Best of all, the microKORG comes with its own microphone so you can start having fun right away.

That's the description of the vocoder from Zzounds.com

Peace

In microkorg manual it says it is 16 band vocoder, and so does in SOS review of the synth. It also sounded like that (definitely better than 8 band) in one of the demos I've heard somewhere (can't remember where I got it).

It is easier to program MS2000 beacuse you have knob for each function, but there is also a computer editor for microkorg (PC and MAC vesions), which is freely available at Korg's site. This way you can program the synth with mouse and use knobs only for realtime performance.

Last edited:
All I Know is the add for microkorg states that it has an 8 band voccoder, while the Ms2000b has 16. i usr the ms2000b and i absolutely love it, the presets are nice, but its easy to make your own sounds from scratch. The ms2000b is the Best choice if money isnt an issue.

I'm a microkorg user, I think it's easy to program but i'm not used to programming synths previously.. It's got a matrix edit system that I find pretty easy, but it takes a while to get aquainted with it. It depends, if you want to tweak and edit and get deep into the synth, get the MS2000 but if you want a nice, easy & portable keyboard that sounds great, go the micro.

My only problem with the micro is that the keys are pretty ****ty quality, but the rest of the build is pretty good, if somewhat flimsy. I got a case built, so that doesnt affect me. The vocoder is ok, but the basslines, shiznit!!! That's what sold me on the Micro, i'm very picky with bass sounds as Virtual Analog synths tend to flatten it, but the Micro was the first synth that sounded as close to legit as i've heard, and been able to afford!

Either way, great units!

Thanks guys..

So far i'm leaning towards the micro. But I hear people saying it's hard to program and that if i wanna program deep i must buy the ms2000.. Why?lol

And of course i wanna program deep.. If i'm buying it, it's to use it's full potencial..

I mean how much harder can it be? Is it just cus it takes a little longer then the ms2000? Like instead of 30min of programin to find my sound vs 50 to 60 mins more? If it's just time then it really shouldn't be a problem right..

So, the question i'm asking is it just time or is there something that makes the micro harder to program?

Nah, it's just time. How experienced with synthesis are you? I haven't had much of a tinker with the ms2000, but it looks ultratech. The microkorg has DEPTH, mad depth, but you just need to become familar with the controls. you can patch the shizzle out of it too, it's all there. great filters and the like, the knobs feel tops and BATTERY POWA! strap it on with a pignose and rock the streetz..

and the arpeggiator on the microkorg is so much fun to program! it's super easy but powaful as all bingtang.

oh, and i'm sure you could do this with the ms2000 too, but it's real easy to run other shizzle through the filters on the microkorg to use them as effects for vox, guitars, casios ;) whateva!

Get the micro, it's easy, cheap & as deep as you'll ever need

run searches in google to do comparisons or go and see what one feels right in a shop.

Yeah,

The only difference is that you need to switch a knob on the micro to edit different parameters, instead of having it all in front of you with the MS. Other than that there's no difference.

Yeah thanks thats what i was thinking.. I have messed with the ms and i love it's fast access.. But I dont mind spending a little more time..

But i'm wondering if it will hinder my creative process and the ability to create the sound i like..

What do yall think?

Well, I think you should go with the ms2000 then. I go to my micro with a definite sound I wanna create, then go about my way, which is quick & easy. But if you just wanna tweak and see, you can do this on the micro, but it'd be easier on the ms2000. Dude, if youve got the money go the ms2000, otherwise go the micro.

"You can sample and hold the vocoder, then tweak it with the filter/effects, as well as pitch shift your voice (You can't do this with the 2000). Plus the fact that it can be powered by batteries is appealing.

For those prices, why not both?"

you can "sample hold" the vocoder effects as an arpeggiator on the ms2000 also, its the latch function

Back