Just got my new M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 and I love it!

kcsherrell@mac.com

Resident Beatsmith
Hey FP,

I thought I would let you all know that I finally got my Axiom Pro 61 and although I have only played with it for about an hour, it is freaking awesome! The mapping or Hyper Control Technology as they call it is unbelievable! It just maps everything right to the board, now i have the Novation Remote Zero SL and with AutoMap 3 its pretty cool, but not as good as this new M-Audio Hyper Control.

I went through Logic and about 5 VST's/AU's (Massive, Battery 3, FM8, SampleTank and Stylus RMX) and they all worked flawlessly!

Really, I can't believe how good this works! Usually new stuff has flaws, and I am sure I will find some here, but so far so good! I just need to see how it works with Ableton Live 8 and then I will be good!

ONE

I was thinkin about gettin one of those cuz i hate makin tracks with a mouse. How much control do you have over the DAW, just basic record,playback? What kind of stuff can you do with the VSTs from the Axiom. I just wanna see how much i will still need to use keyboard and mouse if i buy it cuz i already got a older axiom 49. Thanks

Thanks, I just watched the videos, it looks dope. I like how you can change channels, record, mute, etc right from the board buttons. Now my only concern is if you can load your VSTs and scroll through patches from the Axiom...i think im gonna research this a little further, cuz i will have to cop this thing this week if i can do that! Hate using this darn Macbook mousepad to pick patches..

Mobetta,

Yeah you can flip through patches on the Axiom Pro, at least I have done it with the NI and Spectrasonics Plugs I have! It does not give you the full info but enough for you to get around if you know the program. The only limit is the screen which I think is 128 by 64 characters, so it will not display everything, but it is the best screen I have ever seen on a MIDI Keyboard!

I had the MPK49 and I liked it and an Industry person I know wanted me to try this out, and I must say I was not too found of M-Audio stuff in the past, so I had doubts! She sent it to me and within an hour, I had my MPK on craigslist and that's a true story! I did not send it back to her, told her it was one of the few pieces she sends me that I wanted to keep and she was OK with that! Which was awesome for me!

ONE

ONE

Thanks for all the great info, dude. Yeah, my biggest concern was if was able to go through and audition patches in PT8 and Kore and Nexus, so now it's a wrap! This will make my workfow in Logic and Protools alot faster not having to be clicking around with a mouse so much. I'm gonna sell my special edition axiom and order this from sweetwater..I'll let u know how it goes..

They look tight, but I don't know if I'd be willing to pay $559 for a controller. They are approaching the bottom end of workstations that start out around $1000

Last edited:
They look tight, but I don't know if I'd be willing to pay $559 for a controller. They are approaching the bottom end of workstations that start out around $1000

Yeah, I hear you! It is Mos Def a steep price! I look at it this way though, if it makes my time in the studio more efficient and/or more enjoyable than its worth it to me and in this case it makes it both more efficient and enjoyable! Trust, I was not going to get one, and it was sent to me by a contact and I fell in love!

Plus, kinda like you said, I know people who have new Motif's and Fantom's and rarely use them for more than a controller! I have a friend who has a brand new Motif XS8 and buy's the new Motif each time they come out, mainly because he like the keys and the layout and it used to it! I asked him, why not just keep you old Motif instead of buying the new one when it comes out? He told me because the new ones always feel better and make his time in the studio more enjoyable! Now, that's a bit much for me, but I understand his point!

Go check one out and then let me know what you think? The price won't change, but your opinion on whether its worth it might?

This week Guitar Center has the 20% deal on any piece over $199, so you could get a new Axiom Pro 61 for $450! or an Axiom Pro 49 for $380, that's not a bad deal there, cause I can tell you there better than the MPK 49 and they run $400. I got rid of my MPK49 right away after playing with this joint!

ONE

Unless I get rid of something, having another keyboard is not on the agenda:p I already a Motif XS6, and Alesis Ion in addition to some rackmounts. This does look nice though.

Yeah, I hear you! I really didn't need one either! But at least I got rid of one after I got this, huh? I have a XS6 and Fantom X6 as well, but I like to keep 1 MIDI controller around in case I do anything mobile, usually I go with a 49 key, but I decided to get the 61 this time, since that is what I am used to using.

Stay Up!

ONE

This thread is making my day. I've been saving up to get the Axiom Pro since I heard it was coming out. Funny cause I was just about to pull the trigger on the old one..when I decided to wait..and low and behold I hear about the axiom pro ! Im getting the 49 key version (not enough space for 61) cant wait !

This thread is making my day. I've been saving up to get the Axiom Pro since I heard it was coming out. Funny cause I was just about to pull the trigger on the old one..when I decided to wait..and low and behold I hear about the axiom pro ! Im getting the 49 key version (not enough space for 61) cant wait !

Your gonna be hella happy! This thing is off the chain!

ONE

I hope more controllers like these come out. so far I'm not to thrilled with my novation remote sl.... it's just not quite the end all be all they tried to make it sound like.

This really does look awesome this may be what i need to move me away from workstation keyboards and towards software setups. Can the keyboard setup a new track and let you select from your vst instruments? Also does this keybaord have its own quantize built in?

Last edited:
Back